Easter egger not laying eggs

I am not sure when I cleaned it up it was liquidy it wasn't thick.
Where did you find this?

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

This is how I break a broody:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

@aart I found this at night I went to take her out of her nesting box at night to check on her and she pooped this out. All day her poop was normal though. When I took her out the nesting box throughout the day she would just wander around like nothing and go back up clucking. I inserted a finger into her vent to feel around for a egg and I didn't feel anything.

In my current gang of hens, none have truly gone broody. However, three have gone intermittently broody. One actually ended up trying to take over a nest box. The other two simply walking around for a day or two fluffed up like an angry badger, rapidly clucking under their breath, annoying the other chickens. The first I got tired of having to drag her off the nest and put her in a broody cage for one day and one night, and that stopped the broody hormones.

If your hen is not broody, from your description of her mostly normal poop, she is likely in this intermittent category, and not sick or eggbound. The wet spot of poop as you handled her is also normal. That happens regularly with one of my hens, and I end up with it on my pants or shirt. It's sort of a nervous reflex like a puppy peeing on you when excited.

Hi everyone I checked this morning and she had pooped out all the egg and the three were eating it. However my Easter egger keeps going to the top still could she had pushed out a egg and be broody at the same time or could there be more egg? @azygous @aart @Eggcessive this was her poop right after
Snapchat-1029361445.jpg
Snapchat-995094538.jpg

Last edited:
More often than not, there are two eggs involved. So give her more calcium and keep her calm, quiet and hydrated and wait for the second shell-less egg.

Calcium citrate should be continue for another week to regulate her egg cycle to get it back to a single yolk being released.

@azygous is it possible for a hen to have a soft shelled egg and pooping solid? And should I give her one capsule of 600mg of calcium Or more? And should I expect a soft shell egg by the end of today or in the next few days?

Back
Top Bottom