Easter Egger or Olive Egger - Switched-at-Birth Mystery, also Earlobe Color Question

Chickfolk

Chirping
Aug 8, 2018
Portland, Oregon
**I originally posted in a different forum, but this may belong better here**

Four of my chicks just rounded the 18 week mark on Sunday. I purchased two of them as day-old Easter Egger pullets, and two as day-old Olive Egger pullets. There is a chance that I switched the two breeds at birth and have mixed up which-is-which.

In the picture below, the chicken on the far left (Kiki) is what I believe to be the Easter Egger pullet. The chicken on the far right (Mohawk) is what I believe to be the Olive Egger Pullet. What casts this into doubt, is that of the four, the sister of the below Olive Egger is the most developed. Her comb is large and red. None of the others are quite as mature-looking. We've assumed the OE sister would be the first to lay.

To our surprise, one of the four started laying a few weeks ago. None of the others have laid. All of them have been snooping around the laying boxes, so we can't tell who was the mystery-layer. We assumed it would be the developed Olive Egger. However, the egg was blue. See below. This casts into doubt whether the hen we assumed would lay actually laid the egg, and whether we were wrong about which were our chickens were OE's and which were our EE's.

This could mean one of three things: 1) The mature hen is actually an Easter Egger and I did switch the breeds at birth, 2) The mature hen is an Olive Egger that happens to lay blue eggs, 3) The hen that I believe is mature is not the hen that laid the egg - I was right about the breeds and wrong about who would lay first.

upload_2018-8-27_11-59-11-png.1517064

(side note, the LO (Pecker) which is next to the RIR (Nugget) has revealed itself as a rooster and has gone to live with a friendly farmer in the country).

upload_2018-8-27_12-7-55-png.1517073

(Bottom eggs are from a Maran (Cocoa) and Australorp (Green Ninja) - top egg is from an EE or an OE which decided to favor its recessive genes).

Also, in the last few days we've noticed that Mohawk, the believed-to-be-olive-egger pictured above, has developed white earlobes (see below). I do not know if this is relevant to my above inquiry. Regardless, it also came as a surprise, as I thought that Olive Eggers would have red earlobes, as would Easter Eggers. I finally decided that I needed the help of my fellow chicken-people to see if anyone had worthwhile insight on any of my current chicken conundrums. Your opinions are welcome and appreciated!

upload_2018-8-27_12-14-26-png.1517081

Original post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...live-egger-switched-at-birth-mystery.1269130/

Mohawk is your Olive Egger. She is most likely a Legbar x Marans cross. It’s not that uncommon for an Easter Egger to lay a blue egg.
Which would then mean that Mohawk's sister - who looks the most developed, probably did not lay the blue egg? Which leaves Kiki as the layer?

I'm sure everything will make sense in a few weeks/months when they are all laying.

...I kind of feel like I'm playing a game of Clue. "It was Kiki, in the 1st laying box, with the blue egg"...

Back
Top Bottom