Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

The black one has male saddle feathering. The blue one is male also. He's got a darker shade of blue on the wings/shoulder and has male hackle feathers visible.
Thank you!
I've been thinking the black one was male since it was a chick, but the blue one had me guessing a little. The comb seems to have three rows, so I've been leaning towards a male. I didn't know the tip about darker shades on the wings and shoulders. That makes a lot of sense thinking about the other birds I have. I also have a lavender Ameraucana hen who I was thinking of breeding with this small group.
Would it be best to keep the blue or the black cockerel for breeding?

Thank you!
I've been thinking the black one was male since it was a chick, but the blue one had me guessing a little. The comb seems to have three rows, so I've been leaning towards a male. I didn't know the tip about darker shades on the wings and shoulders. That makes a lot of sense thinking about the other birds I have. I also have a lavender Ameraucana hen who I was thinking of breeding with this small group.
Would it be best to keep the blue or the black cockerel for breeding?
It's not really a good breeding practice to mix Lavenders with Blues. While they look like they are similar/related colors, they are actually two completely different genes.

Below are two EE's that I hatched that are a little over 5 weeks old. Based on what I have read in this thread I think the white one is a hen and the brownish one is a roo, primarily based on comb size. Am I correct?

The white one:

The brownish one:

Below are two EE's that I hatched that are a little over 5 weeks old. Based on what I have read in this thread I think the white one is a hen and the brownish one is a roo, primarily based on comb size. Am I correct?

The white one:

The brownish one:

It's a bit too soon to be sure of anything. Neither bird has anything screaming cockerel, just yet.

The white one:

The brownish one:

Your lighter one looks like it will end up like mine

In the last picture, which is which? I still can't tell if my EE (just found it it's an EE - thought it was an Amerucauna) is male or female.

Back
Top Bottom