Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Okay I have been reading this thread for weeks and finally really to ask about my 8th week old chicks! We have one that I am certain is a rooster and three I am unsure of.

Mervin is my 99.9% rooster. Can I have a final confirmation so that I can rehome him? Behind him is Sunday, I'll post more pics of him/her soon

Attachments

• mervin.jpg
    mervin.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 34
  • mervin 2.jpg
    mervin 2.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 29
Here is Enid, who is smaller and has skinnier legs than the others

Attachments

• enid.jpg
    enid.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 20
  • enid2.jpg
    enid2.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 17
  • enid3.jpg
    enid3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 24
Finally Hazel, who is the size of Mervin but might have female coloring? She has quite thick legs though?

Attachments

• hazel.jpg
    hazel.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 34
Okay I have been reading this thread for weeks and finally really to ask about my 8th week old chicks! We have one that I am certain is a rooster and three I am unsure of.

Mervin is my 99.9% rooster. Can I have a final confirmation so that I can rehome him? Behind him is Sunday, I'll post more pics of him/her soon
A comb so red on an 8 week chick... it's a good bet to be a rooster. 99% is about right, since there are exceptions to every rule (even the rule about exceptions!). It's not easy to see colors accurately online, but looks like Mervin is getting dark red on his lower neck. A hen would get a buff color. Look up pics of a Black Star chicken on Murray McMurray Hatchery and you'll see the coloring Mervin might get.

Sunday looks female with the pale buff breast.

Enid looks like a pullet.

Hazel looks female, but not completely confident about her due to wattles sprouting and can't see the true color coming in on the breast. I don't see any male solid red patches forming on the wings, so I would hang onto her, but keep an eye out.

In my experience, thick legs indicate a larger adult bird more than sex.

A comb so red on an 8 week chick... it's a good bet to be a rooster. 99% is about right, since there are exceptions to every rule (even the rule about exceptions!). It's not easy to see colors accurately online, but looks like Mervin is getting dark red on his lower neck. A hen would get a buff color. Look up pics of a Black Star chicken on Murray McMurray Hatchery and you'll see the coloring Mervin might get.

Sunday looks female with the pale buff breast.

Enid looks like a pullet.

Hazel looks female, but not completely confident about her due to wattles sprouting and can't see the true color coming in on the breast. I don't see any male solid red patches forming on the wings, so I would hang onto her, but keep an eye out.

In my experience, thick legs indicate a larger adult bird more than sex.
Thanks so much for this!

We need better pictures of Mervin.

More pics of Sunday
Sunday looks like a pullet with that color, but those thick legs say otherwise. Unsure on the gender.

Here is Enid, who is smaller and has skinnier legs than the others
Pullet.

Back
Top Bottom