Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Well, Kermit has only in the past week started flirting with the ladies, so I doubt there is any over breeding going on! LOL! He is still young. I'm on the fence about the rumpless vs. tailess, but am beginning to wonder. Everyone else didn't lose actual tail feathers. Even the poor Swedich Flower Hen that got stuck in the feeder overnight (ended up RAW after that one :( ) didn't have her long tail feathers pulled out....just every other feather they could reach. Poor baby looks a mess right now. She is super sweet though. Although I've seen the heifer pick a time or two since then! You would think she would knows very well how it feels!

Quote:
I'm zero good at this, but my roo has only been crowing for about a month now. So, he didn't start until he was 5 months old. So you have some more time to figure it out, probably. I'm trying to remember, but I think by 8 weeks, my gray EE boys had the red coming out on their wings and chest. By 12 weeks, I knew for sure. One went to be dinner, the other to his own flock. :)

I would lean towards boy due to his looks, but I've get hens that will "umbrella" up and make the boys back down! LOL! I'm not sure aggressiveness is purely a roo thing. ;)

His tail feathers are starting to have a downward look to them. Wach for pointy hackle or saddle feathers. Unless a boy has a massive comb, that is my for 100% sure sign. (Unless it's a barred bird, like my 5 month old Dom that I STILL can't tell! LOL!)

Last edited:

Above pictures are of Brownie. Heavily leaning towards pullet. Her comb is no where near as defined as our other males. I will post pictures of Blue below. We are confident in his being a male.

Blue is a beautiful bird. Very brick red patterns on his wings and back.

Any ideas on pullet or roo?? He/she is 8 wks.
looks like my young cockerel I have.

Back
Top Bottom