Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

One more question. I have a black EE that we have affectionately named "the crow" It is approximately 3 months old give a couple of weeks....What sex do you think it is? Forgive the horrible pictures. It doesn't like having it's pictures taken. And does anyone know what the cream colored and the red colored one's breed is? The store that I got them from told me, but I don't remember. Also What do you experts think the sex of the BR is?
Pullet
Barred Rock in front is a rooster,the comb is big/red and his barring is light. The BR in the back is a pullet.

Thank you all! All of them are approximately 3 mos old give a couple of weeks. The BR in the front does have a huge comb but it doesn't have any tail feathers so I was holding out hope for a pullet. But I'm a newbie so what do I know. That's why I asked and I appreciate your help. I read on here somewhere that BR pullets have more black on their feet when they are chicks and so far I've been right when I've chosen them based upon that information but I don't remember if the one in the front's feet were black when I chose him. I don't think they were. Thank you all again.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on "Sophie" who is the dark brown EE in the front. He/She is over 5 months old, has a small pink pea comb. The other morning it sounded like she was trying to crow. Am I noticing what could possibly be saddle feathers (??) Could she be a he? The first picture behind the fence is more recent than the picture on the bottom (taken 4 weeks ago).

I was wondering if I could get some advice on "Sophie" who is the dark brown EE in the front. He/She is over 5 months old, has a small pink pea comb. The other morning it sounded like she was trying to crow. Am I noticing what could possibly be saddle feathers (??) Could she be a he? The first picture behind the fence is more recent than the picture on the bottom (taken 4 weeks ago).

Sophie is 100% pullet.

Sophie is a pullet,the "saddle feathers" that you are talking about are just to longer feathers that usually appears on hens. :) The crow you might have heard could be a hen's bawk, some calls will sound similar to a roosters, when a hen's lost, spots danger, or is laying an eggs they will make long baawwwk-bawwk-bawk-bak-bak noises that can be loud. In some cases when a flock does not contain a rooster one hen will take the roosters role which includes crowing, most of the time these masculine hens will grow spurs and have more rooster-like characteristics, they might also stop laying.

Asking for a friend, this is her 10 week old maybe roo. The color pattern seems dramatic, but the red coming through on the shoulders is light, it's hard for us to tell. I'm no expert on EEs so here to ask :) I'm leaning towards roo because its not looking like the many pullets shown here. Thanks

Asking for a friend, this is her 10 week old maybe roo. The color pattern seems dramatic, but the red coming through on the shoulders is light, it's hard for us to tell. I'm no expert on EEs so here to ask
smile.png
I'm leaning towards roo because its not looking like the many pullets shown here. Thanks
He's a rooster. That coloring might be light, but it's still there. We had one where it came in dark mahogany and faded. I still kept up hope that it was a pullet because the dark red had faded. We also had another where the "red" came in a lighter lemon color. I believe because of the influence of a fading gene. His "red" may have been light but he was still a rooster. Beautiful little guy you've got there.

lol at that red pullet on the right. She does NOT look happy to have her picture taken. ^_^

Last edited:
Sophie is a pullet,the "saddle feathers" that you are talking about are just to longer feathers that usually appears on hens. :) The crow you might have heard could be a hen's bawk, some calls will sound similar to a roosters, when a hen's lost, spots danger, or is laying an eggs they will make long baawwwk-bawwk-bawk-bak-bak noises that can be loud. In some cases when a flock does not contain a rooster one hen will take the roosters role which includes crowing, most of the time these masculine hens will grow spurs and have more rooster-like characteristics, they might also stop laying.
I agree that Sophie looks like a pullet. I have one pullet that can do a pretty good fake crow. The first time we heard it, DH and I both stopped in our tracks and said "that sounds like a rooster, but we don't have a rooster". Took a while to catch her in the act, and she isn't even a dominant hen. She also only does it about once a month - just exercising her vocal chords I guess.

donnavee - that's exactly what mine does. She isn't a dominant bird at all and she also "crows" about once a month. She hasn't layed an egg yet either. But hopefully soon. Thanks for the information everyone :)

donnavee - that's exactly what mine does. She isn't a dominant bird at all and she also "crows" about once a month. She hasn't layed an egg yet either. But hopefully soon. Thanks for the information everyone :)
Mine lays eggs - well right now she is molting - but she does lay. Just likes to get up on a roost sometimes & mess with our minds. Of course the first time we heard it, we were wondering how a rooster had managed to get in with our girls and by the time we got to the chicken yard everyone was just pecking and scratching. It took a while for me to catch her in the act.

Back
Top Bottom