Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

The two reddish/gold look like hens, the third looks like a roo to me
sad.png

Last edited:
Okay here are my first 3 Easter eggers!!! I am over the moon in love with them but have a more than sneaking suspicion there are 2 Roos in the group. I am hoping you can help not break my heart!

The one in the back the coloration says ALL pullet, the one in the middle....questionable red patches on the wing bows...it would help to get a good comb shot of that one...otherwise its hard to tell. The one on the bottom is definitely a roo..

Last edited:
Okay here are my first 3 Easter eggers!!! I am over the moon in love with them but have a more than sneaking suspicion there are 2 Roos in the group. I am hoping you can help not break my heart!

Below is a pic of my rooster at maybe 5 1/2 weeks. The next is my daughter holding him at about 18 weeks old. There's no question of his gender.
The one in the back looks like a female, but the one in the front may also be getting those solid red patches.
My guess is 2 males & 1 female. I hope I'm wrong.

Nah, those are two pullets and one roo.

The "calico" (black, white, and partridge coloration) is the cockerel. There is deep red on the shoulders, splotchy coloring, and the closeup of the comb in the third photo shows a definite three-row pea comb. The other two are pullets. Their combs are skinny and small, and their coloring flows evenly down their bodies. I understand everyone's concern with the pullet who has red on the shoulders, but I think that is just her coloration. I have had quite a few pullets who are dark orange like that. Notice that it is a different color than the red on the cockerel's shoulders. Plus, that cockerel has massive shoulders already.

I'm guessing they are around 8 weeks.

Got this little beauty last night as a 'space heater' for a potential breeding cockerel - too cold to put him in the grow out pen alone! Definitely an EEer, but I'm guessing a pullet? She'll be 12 weeks old the 13th.

Wish I could have gotten a better photo of the face, but she's been named Amelia already for her crazy attempts to fly -- one fast chickie! The comb is very small, flat, with a single row of peas.

Last edited:
Got this little beauty last night as a 'space heater' for a potential breeding cockerel - too cold to put him in the grow out pen alone! Definitely an EEer, but I'm guessing a pullet? She'll be 12 weeks old the 13th.

Wish I could have gotten a better photo of the face, but she's been named Amelia already for her crazy attempts to fly -- one fast chickie! The comb is very small, flat, with a single row of peas.

Looks like a girl to me, based off coloring

Back
Top Bottom