Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Glad to hear you're getting some eggs. I've got some pullets that should be starting to lay soon too. The older hens always lay in the box, but because they're all out free-ranging throughout the day, I can't be sure that the pullets will use the boxes when the time comes. I know 2 are laying, but the other 4 may be dropping eggs all over the yard (with hungry dogs eating them) or just not laying yet. I really hope I'm not missing a hidden stash of eggs.

Hello! I bought an Olive Egger pullet, but want to be sure that I do indeed have a girl. She looks a lot like my Americaunas when they were little, so I figured this would be the right place to ask. These may not be the most helpful, as they are just what I have access to right now. Here is Olive, about 12-16 weeks:

Last edited:
Hello! I bought an Olive Egger pullet, but want to be sure that I do indeed have a girl. She looks a lot like my Americaunas when they were little, so I figured this would be the right place to ask. These may not be the most helpful, as they are just what I have access to right now.
Here is Olive, about 12-16 weeks:

That pullet has a general red/orange color all over, but I do believe that is a pullet. Usually the red/orange (especially on the shoulders area) is a male trait, but I would expect the comb to be more prominent if she were male at 12-16 weeks. Maybe it is an EE/RIR cross.

Help! I'm so upset because I got two EE in my flock of 8 to ensure that I would get blue/green eggs.

This one I know is a rooster (which we are not allowed to have in out city) because this morning he perfected his crow, which is extremely loud!
985f38e700ccbcc0d7946799ef937319.jpg

This one isn't crowing yet, but I'm so sad that I think she is also a rooster!! They look identical other than coloring. The tail feathers and large comb mean she (he) is a rooster too, right??
b998cb339945bd176ab2c2ff07f36779.jpg

Now I have to figure out what to do with them because I can't find anywhere to donate them!! I'm worried my neighbors are going to call the cops on us because it's so loud. And this means no blue/green eggs for me. :(. I'm upset that the hatchery sent me TWO EE roosters. So much for the 90% sexing guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help! I'm so upset because I got two EE in my flock of 8 to ensure that I would get blue/green eggs.

This one I know is a rooster (which we are not allowed to have in out city) because this morning he perfected his crow, which is extremely loud!
985f38e700ccbcc0d7946799ef937319.jpg

This one isn't crowing yet, but I'm so sad that I think she is also a rooster!! They look identical other than coloring. The tail feathers and large comb mean she (he) is a rooster too, right??
b998cb339945bd176ab2c2ff07f36779.jpg

Now I have to figure out what to do with them because I can't find anywhere to donate them!! I'm worried my neighbors are going to call the cops on us because it's so loud. And this means no blue/green eggs for me.
sad.png
. I'm upset that the hatchery sent me TWO EE roosters. So much for the 90% sexing guarantee.

It might be a good idea to speak with your neighbors ASAP to let them know what's going on. If they know you're searching for a new home, their patience will be extended. (You can also thank them with eggs in the future. In the meantime if it's really loud, you can try rooster collars or locking them up in at night to muffle the crow. For the long run, a rehoming is the safest solution. My EE roo was so sweet but had a loud & frequent crow. Thankfully, my neighbors found him amusing, so I was able to take my time in finding him a good home.

Your second pic looks like a younger roo in my opinion. (I can't see the pointy saddle feathers like in the 1st one, but the red patch on wings is another good roo indicator.)

To help you compare, here was my roo just before he started crowing. Notice the saddle feathers just starting in the top center pic.

Here's the adult version:

taffers, sadly, the second one is indeed a cockerel. At the very least, you should get a refund from the hatchery. Faraday gave good advice about contacting neighbors and locking the crower in at night (maybe the garage?). This time of year, finding new homes for cockerels is tough. Finding someone who will take them to put a meal on the table might not be so tough. Just want you to be prepared. Good luck to you!

Now I have to figure out what to do with them because I can't find anywhere to donate them!! I'm worried my neighbors are going to call the cops on us because it's so loud. And this means no blue/green eggs for me.
sad.png
. I'm upset that the hatchery sent me TWO EE roosters. So much for the 90% sexing guarantee.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I ordered 8 EE pullets, 4 died within two days and then two of the remaining four turned out to be roosters. :( Sorry you got two roosters. Good luck rehoming them!

Hi, can anyone help me identify this young chicken of mine? I think I may have an Ameraucana or an EE and hopefully a girl. I live in Australia and there is not much information on these birds down under!Thanks everyone

If it has green legs, it is an EE, because it would not meet the US standard for the breed. I think there are differences between Araucana & Ameraucanas in the US and Australia and England (?), but I'm not sure what they are. If the chicken is older than 7-8 weeks, I would say it's a pullet with that small, pale comb.

Back
Top Bottom