Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Here's Tyrion. One of our favorite Easter Eggers.
Because of all the white & its fearless personality, we thought male.

Notice the upright stance in the pic above.

Comb turned red & tail curved. Again suspected male. No crowing, so we waited.

But wait.... Someone mentioned that an even pattern = female. Comb red, but small. There's hope!

Way to go Tyrion! (March 2014)

We love Tyrion's fearless personality. She's small but at the top of the pecking order. She'll take treats from the hands of strangers (others are too "chicken") and steal food from the big dog. Our dogs hate squirrels & rabbits; they chase them from the yard. Tyrion joins them. Our guard chicken is always on patrol duty & ready to chase - even when the dogs are inside the house. Squirrels beware!

This spring my daughter incubated eggs/ hatched chicks. We've been getting reports that Tyrion's daughters also enjoy a good squirrel or rabbit chase. Does anyone else have a chicken that does this? Should I try to teach her how to play fetch?

Gotta love the EE's personalities.

And here's the next gen of squirrel chasing pullets:
(We only kept the 1st one. The others are chasing rodents in their new homes.)

That is so cute how you have pictures of her as she got older! I took pictures of my favorite pullet this year to see how she changed over the months. I wish I had some chickens that chased mice. Mice are eating the corn that I have in my shed. That would be a blessing if they would kill them too.

Tyrion is awesome. And yeah, don't go at all by how they stand or pose, nor by tail curvature. Females also get a slight curve when young. Congrats on the egg!

Here's a follow up for everyone! This is Rarity at 5 weeks (when I first posted the pics):

And Rarity as of today at 12 weeks:

Looks like a boy to me!
Thanks for taking time to update! I think it's really helpful for us to see the grown chick.

Rarity is a cockerel. For people trying to learn, the signs are the bright red comb (at 12 weeks), large amount of mostly white on the wings (on a black and white bird), and the dark red also coming in on the wings. The biggest clue in the 5 wk picture is the amount of solid white making a very uneven pattern on the wing.

He's cute! Hope you can keep him. Love the gray beard! If you still have him next year, I'd love to see how he looks with adult plumage.

Thanks for taking time to update! I think it's really helpful for us to see the grown chick.

Rarity is a cockerel. For people trying to learn, the signs are the bright red comb (at 12 weeks), large amount of mostly white on the wings (on a black and white bird), and the dark red also coming in on the wings. The biggest clue in the 5 wk picture is the amount of solid white making a very uneven pattern on the wing.

He's cute! Hope you can keep him. Love the gray beard! If you still have him next year, I'd love to see how he looks with adult plumage.

That's the plan, assuming he remains a gentleman and the girls quit picking on him at some point. I'll post another update come spring.

Here's a follow up for everyone! This is Rarity at 5 weeks (when I first posted the pics): And Rarity as of today at 12 weeks: Looks like a boy to me!
This is great! I have a youngster (7weeks) who looks a lot like your early pictures here. He/she was a silver chipmunk beauty, and now is getting black feathering on the head, and silver/white on the cape. I have another EE that hatched that batch that is straight black. EE are so fun to watch grow because it is so surprising. These two are my third and fourth. I feel cautiously confident the silver beauty is a cockerel, but I'm totally bamboozeled by the black babe. Such a fun adventure!!

Last edited:
My new chicks from 3 green eggs, i think arunacuna but in Australia we don't have much info on that type of bird. Who knows what I'll end up with.

My new chicks from 3 green eggs, i think arunacuna but in Australia we don't have much info on that type of bird. Who knows what I'll end up with.

I know ameracaunas were created in the U.S and they're veery rare outside of it. I'm guessing you have an araucauna mix, I wonder how they got into australia? any breeders?

Back
Top Bottom