Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I posted this on the EE club thread as well, so sorry to anyone who sees this twice

Has anyone seen a salt and pepper EE pullet with a long straight tail at about 4 weeks or so? "Ana" is different than my other two who are looking very female with the fat stumpy sort of tails. She is also quite bossy. Hopefully these pics are clear enough so you all can see what I mean. The comb pics are as clear as I could get as she is a really wiggly one. Really hoping she is not a roo.... Any input is appreciated, though I know it is still early. Thank you!
Ana on the right. Cocoa holds her fat tail much differently...though Ana's tail is identical to our Australorp (not pictured)
Still on the right
back view... shoulders are white with some black ticking

Although 4 weeks is early to be 100% certain, Ana looks like a cockerel. The upright stance, the very thick legs, the long tail, are only part of the story. It's the uneven pattern of color on the wings- concentrated areas of white, that almost always indicate a male. I say almost always because at this age they are changing rapidly and s/he could look very different next week. That said, 95% sure it's a cockerel. Look for a bright pink comb to develop in the next week or two.

LesGus5-
This is a "guessing" game when chicks are so young. Therefore, don't make plans to keep or discard before you give the chick a chance to mature. Many can be gender identified around 6 weeks old, but even then a few can't.

I know it's hard to wait, so here's what I think about Ana:
Comb - no pink & still small. Could be female or just too young. Keep watching & compare to the others.
In the heavy breeds, slower feathering (on shoulders, back, & tail) is an indication of a male. Not sure if it would apply to an EE, but the bare shoulders could mean a boy.
In most EEs, solid patches of red or white on the shoulders = male. Even patterned feathers = female. Since yours do not have their head feathers in, they are a bit too young to judge. I would be cautious about the white feathers I see on Ana's shoulders. It could mean a boy, but they change so quickly, it could also be nothing.

Here are some of my past chicks for reference:

Female (narrow flat comb, very common female patterned feathers, no patchiness)

Female (but was not sure until about 6 weeks -see 2nd pic. Comb looked wide as chick but never grew.)

Female = very small pale comb, common golden pullet color, no red patches

Female = even pattern that developed into pretty lacing

Male = definite patchiness at an early age

Male = very early pink comb

Male = early red patches, thick legs (but many of mine have thick legs), & a solid black collar. Last pic is him as adult.

LesGus5-
This is a "guessing" game when chicks are so young. Therefore, don't make plans to keep or discard before you give the chick a chance to mature. Many can be gender identified around 6 weeks old, but even then a few can't.

I know it's hard to wait, so here's what I think about Ana:
Comb - no pink & still small. Could be female or just too young. Keep watching & compare to the others.
In the heavy breeds, slower feathering (on shoulders, back, & tail) is an indication of a male. Not sure if it would apply to an EE, but the bare shoulders could mean a boy.
In most EEs, solid patches of red or white on the shoulders = male. Even patterned feathers = female. Since yours do not have their head feathers in, they are a bit too young to judge. I would be cautious about the white feathers I see on Ana's shoulders. It could mean a boy, but they change so quickly, it could also be nothing.

Here are some of my past chicks for reference:

Female (narrow flat comb, very common female patterned feathers, no patchiness)

Female (but was not sure until about 6 weeks -see 2nd pic. Comb looked wide as chick but never grew.)

Female = very small pale comb, common golden pullet color, no red patches

Female = even pattern that developed into pretty lacing

Male = definite patchiness at an early age

Male = very early pink comb

Male = early red patches, thick legs (but many of mine have thick legs), & a solid black collar. Last pic is him as adult.

Thank you for all of the info. He/she isn't going anywhere. If Ana is a boy, he can stay as long as he behaves himself around my kids. It just figures that He/she is a favorite and my daughter named one of the other girls Kristoff.... after the movie Frozen, of course. At least Elsa seems to be a pullet. We had an accidental RIR roo from the last batch that was just mean, so he went to my neighbors freezer camp. Time will tell, but the salt/pepper immediately got me thinking Roo.

My only "salt & pepper" one turned out to be a pullet. I thought male for 12-15 weeks, & she's even named Tyrion.

You can see how the pattern's even, but she grew a long curved tail.

Now she's my fearless, squirrel-chasing hen with attitude.

After her big molt, she got some brownish hue.
Many of mine have some type of collar. If it's a solid black collar, it's a boy. If it's kind of patterned (not solid), it's a girl.

My only "salt & pepper" one turned out to be a pullet. I thought male for 12-15 weeks, & she's even named Tyrion.

You can see how the pattern's even, but she grew a long curved tail.

Now she's my fearless, squirrel-chasing hen with attitude.

After her big molt, she got some brownish hue.
Many of mine have some type of collar. If it's a solid black collar, it's a boy. If it's kind of patterned (not solid), it's a girl.
There is hope for Ana yet. I think she looked pretty much identical to Tyrion(though maybe with a darker back.... not that it means much) at a few days old... so far no solid black on her/him.I knew at least one of them woul make me wonder Roo. I guess that's all part of the fun!

He is learning that he is "THE MAN" LOL. As long as he remains nice he can stay but if he goes after the kids it rotisserie for dinner!

Most of my Easter Eggers have been really docile, but I have had a few that were handled a little too much as chicks and they became aggressive.
Not for long though. They were quickly removed to the freezer.

Round Two: Our second 5-wk-old EE, Dark Owl (no cute names allowed until gender is proven):

In the middle. Don't love the blotchiness of the older wing feather pattern:

Not the best comb shot, but there isn't much of one and it really isn't pink in real life:

A little more encouraged by the nice patterning of these shoulder feathers, but I know that's not a guarantee.

On the left, with the evil twin White Owl. Gotta love the matching pointy tails.

So just like with White Owl, based on thick legs and upright stance I think we're just waiting for combs and suspicious feathers to develop.
Sadly, given that most of our flock are bantams, we can't have large fowl males stomping all over the girls. Already had a partridge rock cockerel surprise 2 years ago who had to find a new home.

I know this is an old post Adenium, but I was wondering what these two turned out to be? I apologize if you updated later in this enormous thread, but I couldn't find it. Are they both pullets? I have a "dark owl' doppelganger (pointy tail and all), so I am quite curious. Thank you!

Quote:

This person hasn't been on since August, but here's the update.
  • Adenium
  • chilln_peeps.v3623572916.png

So this is my 10-week-old that I posted earlier. Pattern and comb still say pullet to me, but the tail is more curved than I've ever seen on a female. A quick search told me it's possible given the mixed heritage of EEs (though I didn't find picture examples), but what do you guys think?
Edited by Adenium - 6/26/14 at 5:08am

LesGus5, you can see the color pattern evened out on this pullet. You still have a chance! Watch the white shoulders and the comb. A cockerel's comb will start getting larger and wider (lumpier). For me, the silver patterned ones are the most difficult.

Back
Top Bottom