Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

There is no question anymore around here "Ana" is officially "Hans"..... As if the red comb, white wing patches, and black and white coloring weren't enough, Below is a pic from a video I took of him On Jan 27, taking on our top Cochin hen (yes, our top hen is a cochin...even above our 2 RIRs) through the fencing and this morning he started crowing. I included a small timeline of pics for anyone out there curious about what he looked like up until now. Just shy of 8 weeks old. Sigh....
he.gif

Now I just hope he turns out nice enough that I can keep him.... and he doesn't annoy the neighbors too much. Thanks for all the input!

2 days
3 weeks (on the right)
5.5 weeks

I remember this one. So sorry you didn't get an Ana. Couldn't tell at 3 weeks, but the white patches & wide comb by 5.5 weeks say "male."
He's a cutie though.

We hatched 8 new EE mixes 7 weeks ago, and I have a few of them figured out "for sure" as males due to their bright red combs, but there are a couple of them that have me stumped. One is a PR/EE mix, the others are "pure" EE (dad was silver, mom partridge). I've numbered them 1-4 below, I'd really appreciate any thoughts about what we've got!

We hatched 8 new EE mixes 7 weeks ago, and I have a few of them figured out "for sure" as males due to their bright red combs, but there are a couple of them that have me stumped. One is a PR/EE mix, the others are "pure" EE (dad was silver, mom partridge). I've numbered them 1-4 below, I'd really appreciate any thoughts about what we've got!

For now they all look like pullets, though no. 3 may be a rooster.

1 2 3 look like roos. Definitely 3 and maybe 2

Here are guesses:

1 Pullet
2 Pullet
3 ?? perhaps roo, but honestly unsure. The comb appeared slightly darker, but that can happen if it's feeling warm.
4 ?? unsure. Legs look thick & a fairly dark red patch on wings, but comb looks rather pale for 7 weeks. I've never had a red bird, so I don't know how they usually feather out.

Please post again in a week or two so we may see how they turn out.

I definitely will post follow-up pics soon! I appreciate the guesses :)
#3's comb is actually looking darker today, so I am definitely thinking he's a roo!

And for yet another opinion (I think you are getting everything from all pullets to all roos!):
None have a prominent comb but:

1. Pullet - clean coloring, hackle feathers not pointy. Both my EEs had penciled hackle feathers that made them LOOK pointy.
2. Cockerel - look at those saddle feathers! I don't see anything like that on any of your other birds.
3. A tossup - lots of red on the wing feathers and blotchy coloring so I lean cockerel but if one of the parents was red, who knows??? I think the hackles are rounded, hard to tell. Could be a splash/pyle pullet.
4. Pullet - rounded hackle feathers, color pretty uniform

3 and 4 have oddly (for an EE) pale legs, not slate or green. Could be some of the recessive (or maybe dominant?) traits of the "purebred" lines coming through.

Back
Top Bottom