Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can anyone confirm if my little one is a pullet? 8.5 wks old. The red is making me worry. I posted these elsewhere as well. But i thought an EE thread might be a good idea too. Thank you!

Especially at 5 months! That is generally on the early side for a hen to start laying and they take a bit to get into a regular cycle. The earlier of my BAs started at about 5 1/2 months. She was "2 on 1 off" for a while, then "3 on, 1 off" but never really hit a "guaranteed" pattern. Sometimes it is "4 on 1 off" or "7 on, 3 off"

Can anyone confirm if my little one is a pullet? 8.5 wks old. The red is making me worry. I posted these elsewhere as well. But i thought an EE thread might be a good idea too. Thank you!
I'm torn on this one. I see the red, but would expect the comb to be larger and pinker is a cockerel. Have to wait and see what other think.

I'm torn on this one. I see the red, but would expect the comb to be larger and pinker is a cockerel. Have to wait and see what other think.
Thank you, i have a cockerel same age (didnt by straight run) but this one is nowhere near as developed as the prod red roo. Ive read the first 20 pages here, and i understand its the patterns that matter. My other one looks just like the one in the last page. Golden. I really hope this ones a girl too, but watching her today, the red is quite bright and seems almost too pretty to br a girl lol. I can try for more/ better pics tmrw if needed. But she is Always on the move:weee

cluckylady, if possible, get a close up of the comb. Someone will have to hold her. (If you can catch her!) For hatchery EEs, a typical pullet pea comb will have a single ridge running down the center. Cockerels have what looks like 3 parallel ridges which look a little puffy or bumpy.

The EEs both look like pullets at this point. Small pale combs, female feather pattern. They will probably tame down a bit once they start laying. Mine aren't particularly friendly and don't care to be handled, but I know others who have some very sweet EEs. If you want lap chickens, Cochins or Orpingtons are a good bet.

(My mom went to Baldwin Park High School. Loooonnnng time ago!
old.gif
)
Yay!! Makes me happy to know they're both pullets! And I do hope they become more tame.. they absolutely hate me right now. I will definitely have to add a Cochin or Orpington to my flock then! Are they both sweet or is one sweeter than the other? I actually went to San Gabriel High School but I live in Baldwin Park now! I'm currently going to Mt. Sac College!
Yup, both pullets.
Yes!! Can't wait to see their pretty eggs!

I'm going to say pullet for now. That chick does have a lot of red, but so far it looks even and not as patchy as I would expect if it was a rooster. Also that comb is still small and pale. However, it's still early to be 100% sure. The most drastic changes can happen between 2-3 weeks. Post another photo in a few weeks and by than we should be able to tell for sure!

Quote: Cochins or Orpys.... So much depends on how they are raised. I have a hatchery buff Orp raised with 9 other chicks of different breeds. They were handled a lot due to having to move them from temporary pens to the safety of the garage at night until the coop was ready. 3 yrs later, the buff Orp is by far the friendliest. You can walk right over and pick her up and she will hang out on your lap. Also got 2 older Orp pullets from a breeder, and they are not nearly as tame. Two older bantam Cochins were pretty tame when I got them. They didn't get handled too much, but they are still tamer than most chickens I've had.

Both my parents went to Mt. Sac. It's where they met.
smile.png

Cochins or Orpys.... So much depends on how they are raised. I have a hatchery buff Orp raised with 9 other chicks of different breeds. They were handled a lot due to having to move them from temporary pens to the safety of the garage at night until the coop was ready. 3 yrs later, the buff Orp is by far the friendliest. You can walk right over and pick her up and she will hang out on your lap. Also got 2 older Orp pullets from a breeder, and they are not nearly as tame. Two older bantam Cochins were pretty tame when I got them. They didn't get handled too much, but they are still tamer than most chickens I've had.

Both my parents went to Mt. Sac. It's where they met.
smile.png
Oh! Guess I have to get an Orp and a Cochin! Chicken math is in the works!!

Aww, how sweet!! Mt. Sac is a great school! Feels nice to know someone near me is also chicken crazy!
It's so hard to find places that cater to our addiction here
lau.gif

Have you heard of Chickens Galore in Norco? Or San Dimas Grain? Or Wes's Feed and Pets?

Back
Top Bottom