Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hello. I am new to BYC. I think (hoping not) that my EE is a rooster. Can anyone help me figure it out please. Here are some pictures.
[/IMG]

Hello. I am new to BYC. I think (hoping not) that my EE is a rooster. Can anyone help me figure it out please. Here are some pictures.
[/IMG]

With the red on his shoulders I would say rooster. Does the comb have one row or three? EE rooster have three rows to their comb. I have two of them. I should know. Lol

Okay, so i was attempting to read through this thread for hours, finally gave up and decided to post! I have 2 EE and am a first timer. They were "supposed" to be sexed pullets but we'll see!
As far as personalities go they are both calm and do not mind being handled, however the black one is a TALKER and will jabber non stop. They are fine together but I had to separate them from our other 3 chicks (same age give or take a few days) because the Wyandotte picked their backs bloody (however she leaves the others alone.)

6ish weeks.
Opinions?
"Nova"

And
"Peach"

I am one of the most inexperienced with guessing EE's but want to get my official vote in for future evaluation. I say Nova looks quite girly to me but .....Peach has what looks like 3 rows starting to show in the comb that and other things make me think rooster. Let us know how it goes!

These chicks are getting bigger. What are usually the first signs you look for when it comes to gender for EEs?

Chick #1

Chick #2

I know it's much too early to actually determine gender i'm just curious if there are specific things to look for.

Last edited:
These chicks are getting bigger. What are usually the first signs you look for when it comes to gender for EEs?

Chick #1

Chick #2

I know it's much too early to actually determine gender i'm just curious if there are specific things to look for.
The single ridge on both their combs is a female trait. Male combs usually look bumpier, fatter, and appear to have 3 parallel ridges of bumps. Males combs will start turning pink usually around 6-8 weeks, while females stay pale until about 16weeks.

The even color pattern on both your chicks is a female trait. Males will get patches of solid red (or white if a blk/wht pattern) that disrupt the even pattern on the wings. This usually happens at 6-8 weeks, unless you have a late bloomer.

Chick #1

Chick #2

First signs of a cockerel would be dark red on the shoulder/wing area and the comb will start to pink up much earlier than pullets.

Back
Top Bottom