Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thank you. We were afraid of that. Lol. What in particular gave it away? (Besides everything. I think I've been in denial.)

The comb is very large and red. A 16 wk pullet might be getting a bit red, but the comb will still be quite small. Male combs are usually red by 8 wks.

Then there is the dark red across the wings, like a rooster badge of honor. The red probably started coming in around 6 wks. Not all males will have this red, it depends on the genes, but the majority of them do. Black and white males will have white patches. Females have smaller, even patterns, generally with muted colors, that makes them look plainer.

Finally, the undisputed male sign are the long, narrow, pointed saddle feathers hanging on either side of the base of the tail. Your guy has white ones. Female feathers in the saddle area are short, wide and blunt and look like the rest of the body feathers. Gives the saddle area a very smooth appearance on females.

I'm suspecting this one might be a roo. He/she is 8 weeks old. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Darn it! Mines about 5 weeks old and I was thinking it was a puller but no head feathers! Wait...do the head feathers matter cuz he/she is starting to get head feathers?

All my chickens are almost 20 weeks old with our BR just starting to lay this week and I noticed my Easter Egger might have a pea comb, doesn't this indicate it's a male? She/he has NEVER crowed and is pretty quiet, she/he gets picked on a lot by one of the Rhode Island reds (but our barred rock pecks the RIR to protect our EE) she/he just started squatting lately, and fixing up the nest how they want, I'm 99% sure it's a female but I just saw the comb when I was sitting out there with them and noticed hers looks different than our other Easter Egger

This photo was a couple days ago it won't let me upload the other photo

This is my other Easter Egger

All my chickens are almost 20 weeks old with our BR just starting to lay this week and I noticed my Easter Egger might have a pea comb, doesn't this indicate it's a male? She/he has NEVER crowed and is pretty quiet, she/he gets picked on a lot by one of the Rhode Island reds (but our barred rock pecks the RIR to protect our EE) she/he just started squatting lately, and fixing up the nest how they want, I'm 99% sure it's a female but I just saw the comb when I was sitting out there with them and noticed hers looks different than our other Easter Egger

This photo was a couple days ago it won't let me upload the other photo

This is my other Easter Egger
She is supposed to have a pea comb. And it looks like she'll be laying pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom