Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Just checking in, thanks for the comments & insights. I hope to get 2.5 week old pics of the killer cotton balls tomorrow.My chicks are bantam "Ameraucanas" & I wonder if the bantam size effects their development vs. the larger variety.
P.S. their legs are changing from yellow-orange to a greenish, dark color... And the littles have reached the stage where they look like tiny owls in their coloring.

i too needed and still do..help with sexing my eegger oegger and am chicks.from what ive researched ameracauna genetics ysually in eeggers and oeggers do not allow for feather speed or growth sexing there is a list online of breeds that have genes for this type if sexing.mixed breeds are tricky even when a parent is on the list.keep trying and godspeed.!

I tried to get better pics of the chicks but those little suckers are fast!! LOL
One is typical wild type and the other is a little different. Leghorn (adoptive) mom is doing a great job!

My bantam Wyandotte and the clutch of Bantam Ameraucana chicks she hatched. The littles are now 3 weeks old.

[/IMG][/IMG]

My Leghorn went broody and I gave her 2 EE eggs to hatch. They are a week old now, One chick has the chipmunk markings the other has strange markings, it's chipmunk on the back but brown wings and splotchy face. Both chicks had the same dad but different moms, the second chick had a solid white EE mom. I've been watching their feather development to see if one is slower or faster than the other cause I've always heard pullets feather out faster??? They both are feather out the same so I either have 2 pullets or 2 cockerels if the feathering theory is true?? I'll try to get better pics today.

Don't judge gender on feather growth, you'll just drive yourself mad and have a 50% chance of being right on each of them
wink.png

Ok, it's been a few weeks since I posted pics of my newest little EE's. I broke my foot so my boys have been tending to the chickens, I was so amazed at how much they have changed!! I went out with my big blue cast scooting as close as I could get on my scooter so I could get some pics. I now think I have one of each, one cockerel and one pullet. Take a look and let me know what you think. Forgive all the white feathers, Mom is molting and like I said the boys are tending to them so I can't complain.

Ok, it's been a few weeks since I posted pics of my newest little EE's. I broke my foot so my boys have been tending to the chickens, I was so amazed at how much they have changed!! I went out with my big blue cast scooting as close as I could get on my scooter so I could get some pics. I now think I have one of each, one cockerel and one pullet. Take a look and let me know what you think. Forgive all the white feathers, Mom is molting and like I said the boys are tending to them so I can't complain.

Sorry about your foot!!

How old are they and what makes you think one is a boy? I PRESUME you mean the orange one? What does that one's comb look like? Orange is not the same as "rooster red".

Also, sticking my nose in, if that is your predator safe coop, you need to slam some poultry/fence staples in there. Those "Arrow staple gun" staples will pop out with almost no effort. A coon would likely be surprised to find itself inside almost before it even tries to get in.

Sorry about your foot!! How old are they and what makes you think one is a boy? I PRESUME you mean the orange one? What does that one's comb look like? Orange is not the same as "rooster red". Also, sticking my nose in, if that is your predator safe coop, you need to slam some poultry/fence staples in there. Those "Arrow staple gun" staples will pop out with almost no effort. A coon would likely be surprised to find itself inside almost before it even tries to get in.
Oh, I didn't know about the staples!? That was just for mom and chicks, they will go into the big coop soon. Hope they are safe for another day or so and then I'll have someone move them for me. The worst problem I've had are mice, that's the reason for the 19g wire on the floor of the cage. As far as the chicks go, yes I was thinking the red colored feathers might mean cockerel?? They are 3+ weeks old and the one in question looks like it might have a combo straight/pea comb. The color is peachy colored right now. It has a different mom from the other chick. I'll have one of the boys bring them out for me so I can ge close up pics. Thanks for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom