Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Those are definitely Easter Egger chicks. But much too young to even try and guess gender. Try posting again at 6 weeks of age.

Thank you! I think they're 2-3 weeks old now. The associate at RK really couldn't tell me anything except "if they're in the discount tank, they're more than a week old." Not very helpful!
1f644.png

We have 4 chicks we have hatched ourselves. They are 3 weeks old - I feel like I can tell the sex already based on colouring and behaviour any ideas?
I believe the first two are girls and the second two boys - there is no doubt in my mind the last one is a roo.

I'd say the yellow one with the dark legs (#2?) is a girl based on the feather pattern and also the one with it's next sticking out looks like a girl (#3?). The first one has a big comb, but the feather pattern looks a bit girly...the last one looks like it will have a boy feather pattern. I've hatched out easter eggers for 2 years and you can normally tell by 6 or 7 weeks, although I still wait for the crow to be sure!

The first one with the bigger comb has a straight comb like the mom which is a welsummer the others have a pea comb. Thank you for the input :)

remember Pepper? well she is a Pullet! She is super sweet! Got her on the right feed and now she is growing like a weed!!!!!!!! she is actually will be 7 months this month!

remember Pepper? well she is a Pullet! She is super sweet! Got her on the right feed and now she is growing like a weed!!!!!!!! she is actually will be 7 months this mo

those cheeks!!

i love them!

Is she laying yet?

On the squatting thing: ALL of the 12 girls I got in 2012 from Ideal and raised with a heat lamp (shudder) squatted. NONE of the 7 I got from Meyer in 2015 that were brooded by one of the 2012 girls squatted. The 2015 EEs were hatched June 11 and laid at:
  • 23 weeks 2 days (11/18)
  • 26 weeks 1 day (12/9)
  • 30 weeks 5 days (1/9)

My 3 EE's hatched June 9, followed your dates almost exactly! They all squatted right before laying. After the first started laying, it totally changed the pecking order too.

Back
Top Bottom