Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thanks. My brother keeps telling me he's a hen. Because he's not crowing. Should I wait for him to crow before I find him a new home. Or just go for it.
If finding him a new home before he crows will result in an argument, wait. It will happen and probably sooner than later.

IMG_7793.JPG IMG_7798.JPG So this is my pullet Olive about 19 was old. What kind of comb is this??? It's flat on top with two slight sides. Almost non existent.

Is that common for Easter Eggers? Did I read here that it's linked to egg color?
It's not a typical trait of hatchery sourced birds. It's more typical of a hobby breeder adding in something with a rose comb to the lineage. The pea comb gene is linked to the blue shell gene. A cushion comb is the result of the pea comb combined with the rose comb gene.

Is that common for Easter Eggers? Did I read here that it's linked to egg color?
I've gotten mine from a micro hatchery and the proportion of cushiony types has been unusually high. Lots of green eggs until this year when I'm 2:2 blue (one perfect pea comb, one outrageously wide and rippled cushion).

Ok. I have 2 Easter eggers that came from Murray McMurray, now 18 weeks old and hopefully getting ready to lay soon.

2 EEs in my growing mixed flock. Lucy and Ethel. I suspect Ethel may be a cockerel but I know it's hard to tell this early. Ethel has the orange tinted neck feathers and darker chipmunk stripe on her head.

Ethel ended up classic puffy cheeks and single comb. Lucy ended up with a cushion comb, no cheeks and dark black/green iridescent head and neck.

IMG_9022.JPG IMG_9141.JPG IMG_9144.JPG IMG_9146.JPG

My follow up: Lucy is an Easter Egger, right? Just a mix of some kind? Not another breed I don't recognize?

Also, any predictions on egg color for either one based on what you all can see?

Ok. I have 2 Easter eggers that came from Murray McMurray, now 18 weeks old and hopefully getting ready to lay soon.

Ethel ended up classic puffy cheeks and single comb. Lucy ended up with a cushion comb, no cheeks and dark black/green iridescent head and neck.

View attachment 1094850 View attachment 1094852 View attachment 1094854 View attachment 1094855

My follow up: Lucy is an Easter Egger, right? Just a mix of some kind? Not another breed I don't recognize?

Also, any predictions on egg color for either one based on what you all can see?
Yes, both are Easter Eggers. There is absolutely no way to predict what they will lay. You'll just have to be patient.

Thanks for the quick reply JB. Love Lucy's iridescent feathers and great personality but still anxious my 4yr old chicken farmer won't get herself a blue egg layer...

Will try to hold on another few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom