Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I have 3 ees and was wondering if any of them were female,I have one rir if y'all don't mind would you tell me if she is a girl,any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1010171557d.jpg
    1010171557d.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 1010171555.jpg
    1010171555.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 1010171556a.jpg
    1010171556a.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1010171556d.jpg
    1010171556d.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 32
  • 1010171557c.jpg
    1010171557c.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1010171557b.jpg
    1010171557b.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 1010171557a.jpg
    1010171557a.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 1010171556a.jpg
    1010171556a.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 32
At 18 weeks, any roosters would have been self declared for some time ;)

If you had asked when they were maybe 8 weeks, that grey one with red wings would have been a bit iffy given the red comes in a bit at a time and rusty/mahogany red on the wings can indicate a boy. Glad they all came out girls for you.

Hello! With it being so warm today, I started thinking about spring...and of course, chicks! I would really like to hatch out a new roo for my flock as my current roo is pretty old. I would like a new roo to be as close to "ideal" EE colors as possible. I know very little about EE genetics. Could some of you experienced folks weigh in on my choices of from which hens I should collect eggs? I have a hatchery EE who had given me a pure white hen and a white with black markings hen. Those two hens are options now as well. I have two kind of Buffy orangish hens with a bit of blue that came from a black sex-linked hen. Two black hens that came from a hatchery australorp, and finally, another standard partridge color hen who came from one of the above, but I am not sure which one. They all lay greenish eggs, dad is an EE. Thank you so much! I am excited to see what comes of this! I thought I had pics of my roo on here, but will try to get one on here soon!

Except for my Ameraucana's my EE's are my favorite layers. They are a catch all mutt mix that come in a variety of colors, patterns, lay eggs of all colors but usually green and brown. You could make your own trying to concentrate on certain colors or markings like breeding to Deleware, Columbian Rock, etc for white with a little pattern. I had a beautiful EE that had the color of a buff Brahma. It is the same as getting mixed breed mutts from the pound and wanting to breed for a certain color or pattern, it's a crap shoot.

I DID have a blue EE rooster that always threw large blue EE's for me.

There isn't a definition for EE colors because they are not a recognized breed. As such, they can look like almost anything color wise. I have one that lays blue that is white with some peach markings. Two others are brown or reddish with dark heads and the 4th has gray muffs and beard. All came from Ideal or Meyer. EEs won't breed true even if you pair two similar looking birds so it would likely take a long time to come up with your "ideal" color. That is, in fact, how the now recognized Ameraucana breed was developed from birds that look like our current "EEs".

Your current roo is clearly carrying and passing on the blue egg gene since his offspring lay green. No guarantee he will pass it to all offspring though so I would definitely pair him with a girl that lays blue or green to keep up the odds of the future girls lay blue or green.

Back
Top Bottom