Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Once mine are old enough!! They're only 2 weeks now. But I do have a few olive eggers that are about 3 weeks that I'm nervous are roos. HUGE Combs compared to the third
Theodora says, "Did someone say huge comb? Let's see it!"
IMG_20190331_172124600_crop_590x590.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190331_172124600_crop_590x590.jpg
    IMG_20190331_172124600_crop_590x590.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 31
With the single combs, you'll want to look for pink combs & wattles. My male orpingtons tend to get pink around 3.5 -4 weeks.

Here's "Mr Obvious" just a couple days shy of 4 weeks. He's got the pink comb, big wattles, legs like tree trunks, and curious rooster attitude. I knew he was a boy over a week ago!
IMG_5726.JPG

With the single combs, you'll want to look for pink combs & wattles. My male orpingtons tend to get pink around 3.5 -4 weeks.

Here's "Mr Obvious" just a couple days shy of 4 weeks. He's got the pink comb, big wattles, legs like tree trunks, and curious rooster attitude. I knew he was a boy over a week ago!
View attachment 1723183
Thanks!! Kalamata definitely is growing waddles. Not sure about Hermes. I'll try to take a better look today And at they're legs. They're a bit flighty.

Thanks!! Kalamata definitely is growing waddles. Not sure about Hermes. I'll try to take a better look today And at they're legs. They're a bit flighty.
Were they straight run? The one by itself in the second picture has some little pinking wattles. I wouldn't say it with any certainty yet but that's looking like a handsome cockerel in the making.

Were they straight run? The one by itself in the second picture has some little pinking wattles. I wouldn't say it with any certainty yet but that's looking like a handsome cockerel in the making.
Yes all of them were straight run. The 3 olive eggers are just a bit older. I can't see if the 2nd in question has wattles yet, but the two of them definitely have thicker legs than the third. Time will tell!

Attachments

• 05D045B3-C048-4ED1-9EA6-62CD664BC2C5.jpeg
    05D045B3-C048-4ED1-9EA6-62CD664BC2C5.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 24
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!! I have learned so much. My hubby and I are going nuts over chicks. We now have 22 of all different breeds but more EEs than anything else. I posted on a different thread but am curious on what the experts here say!
IMG_20190425_094835.jpg
IMG_20190417_084434.jpg
IMG_20190418_175534.jpg
IMG_20190425_115539.jpg
Here's some pics of two that I think are little roos. Sorry about the quality of the pictures. The first one is about 9 weeks old. He has a small, but triple, pea comb. The lady I got "him" does have black and white EE hens.
The other is about 8 weeks old. We are kind of hoping for a roo. Hubby will make a bachelor pad for anyone who needs one. Right now, he is working on a large run after building the most beautiful coop!

Last edited:
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!! I have learned so much. My hubby and I are going nuts over chicks. We now have 22 of all different breeds but more EEs than anything else. I posted on a different thread but am curious on what the experts here say! View attachment 1752029 View attachment 1752033 View attachment 1752038 View attachment 1752039 Here's some pics of two that I think are little roos. Sorry about the quality of the pictures. The first one is about 9 weeks old. He has a small, but triple, pea comb. The other is about 8 weeks old. We are kind of hoping for a roo. Hubby will make a bachelor pad for anyone who needs one. Right now, he is working on a large run after building the most beautiful coop!
The second one is male for certain, that patterning is positively screaming it. I can't see the comb on the first but if it's developing already, it's also a cockerel. It looks like that last rooster has some serious construction skills! :clap

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!! I have learned so much. My hubby and I are going nuts over chicks. We now have 22 of all different breeds but more EEs than anything else. I posted on a different thread but am curious on what the experts here say! View attachment 1752029 View attachment 1752033 View attachment 1752038 View attachment 1752039 Here's some pics of two that I think are little roos. Sorry about the quality of the pictures. The first one is about 9 weeks old. He has a small, but triple, pea comb. The lady I got "him" does have black and white EE hens.
The other is about 8 weeks old. We are kind of hoping for a roo. Hubby will make a bachelor pad for anyone who needs one. Right now, he is working on a large run after building the most beautiful coop!

WOW! I have "coop envy"! That's an amazing hen house you have!

As far as the pics, you may be right that both are roos. #2 has the obvious red shoulders of a male. #1 "might" have some saddle feathers coming in, but I can't see the face/comb to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom