Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Do you think Aubrey is a boy??? She/he is getting so much white and I just noticed a little brownish red on her head feathers but none on her shoulders yet. I don't see 3 rows on her/his comb,
She/he is almost 5 weeks old She is really taking a long time to feather out..
I dont know.. I do believe she is a she.. at this age mine already are getting color in the boys combs and wattles.. and legs dont look boyish thick.. good luck for a girl she should be pretty when she grows up.
blessed be
Pink

Illia, I was hoping that you could answer this if you had time.
big_smile.png
wow i haven't seen one with a V comb... what was mommy and daddy.... ???
thumbsup.gif

blessed be
Pink

A V comb is often found on breeds like Polish and Crevecoeurs, it looks exactly like a V or a Y facing forward like horns. I've got some EE's with such, but you need a V combed parent to make such, and it will only occur in the 2nd generation on.

What I mean by the egg gene is the blue egg gene. An EE is a non-purebred who carries at least one blue egg gene, a single comb means they very very likely don't carry the gene at all, thus, will lay brown or white eggs and will breed for such unless bred to a blue layer again.

Whoa, that's interesting! Not totally sure mine is a V comb though. It looked just like a single comb early on, but I did notice that it looked lopsided and crooked.

Here's a closer look

I've just about given up on what my chicks are as they were simply sold to me as EEs. lol

Okay, Illia, sorry to bug you, but I really need your opinion again. I'm currently being told that this could be a cockerel because of the curled tail.

I asked you before about this one's coloring, and you said that it was a "she." I know there are a million stories here about chicks that everyone thought were pullets, and turned out to be boys, but I just wanted to ask you again.

I just found out the chick I bought at a Farm supply store as an Araucana is an EE chick. Either way I think she is pretty and resembles this chick of lwwh67
600x450px-LL-253f7012_100_4451.jpeg

This is my Arie and it's OK w/me if she's an EE instead of an Araucana.

this is Arie and she is 2 months old

Last edited:
Okay, Illia, sorry to bug you, but I really need your opinion again. I'm currently being told that this could be a cockerel because of the curled tail.

I asked you before about this one's coloring, and you said that it was a "she." I know there are a million stories here about chicks that everyone thought were pullets, and turned out to be boys, but I just wanted to ask you again.

Just like saddle feathers, males don't actually get curled sickle feathers until much later. That color is undeniably female though. If it were male and genetically the same color, it would have a blue breast, reddish or white wings, and white neck/back.

Back
Top Bottom