Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

S'mores is a cockerel. The white patches coming in on the wings are as big of a tell as when those same patches are brick red. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. Choco is a pullet.

Oh no! I have 6 mix bantam's and my little orange chipmunk (my favorite) is getting white feathers in the same place! He/she/it has a white chest now too, I think they are 3 1/2 weeks now and 4 look like EE bantams. I think. I need to upload some pics of them but I wanted to wait a week or two for some opinions from everyone. Does it matter if at this young age two have HUGE tail feathers sticking straight up? I think two are Barred Rock bantams. I really wanted Cochin bantams for that little bantam rooster I rescued but they were so hard to find and expensive to order right now.

Why are there less chicks to order from hatcheries at this time of year than back in March when it is so cold? And when do they have the most to offer for when it is best to order?

Oh no! I have 6 mix bantam's and my little orange chipmunk (my favorite) is getting white feathers in the same place! He/she/it has a white chest now too, I think they are 3 1/2 weeks now and 4 look like EE bantams. I think. I need to upload some pics of them but I wanted to wait a week or two for some opinions from everyone. Does it matter if at this young age two have HUGE tail feathers sticking straight up? I think two are Barred Rock bantams. I really wanted Cochin bantams for that little bantam rooster I rescued but they were so hard to find and expensive to order right now.

Why are there less chicks to order from hatcheries at this time of year than back in March when it is so cold? And when do they have the most to offer for when it is best to order?
It probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference about the feathers, but I have heard males feather in slower than females. I ordered baby chicks in March and one of the brahmas that later became a rooster had a bare bottom when everyone else had obvious tail feathers. Towards the end of the hatching season, hatcheries are getting rid of their older breeding stock and selling out of more popular breeds, so there is less selection. It is best to make your order in December or January because most operate on a first come first serve basis. I placed my order then and just asked them to be delivered in March, and as a result I got some of the hard to get breeds/color patterns
wink.png

Last edited:
I got thrown out so here goes again; Daycare time in the sun
White feathers just coming in on orange chipmunk

yellow chipmunk

Barred Rock?

Last edited:
Then we have the mystery bantam chicks,

They were both black chicks and now this one has a mostly black beak and black comb and the one above is staying much smaller and has a much larger orange comb. All are about 3 1/2 weeks and any guesses as to breed or gender are welcome if its possible at this age. But its fun! Like opening a box of chocolates, ya never know what your gonna get!

Simonsfunnyfrm, Thank you for that info! I'll remember. Hubby is out making alterations to the new chicken run for the newer bantam chicksters. Mmm, wonder if her would mind..........

Last edited:
Oh, can't forget my Lil Buddy that the whole bantam herd is for

He is so tiny! And so loyal to his amazon women that like to beat the tar out of him if they catch him. He now runs to me or the patio door and has his own little pen.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to find a new home for S'mores..

I would at least wait a couple more weeks. If he's only 4 weeks old, there may still be a slim chance that it could turn out to be a girl.
No sense throwing in the towel juuuust yet, I'd hold off and wait a couple more weeks before you can def. tell through comb color etc.

My two EE's were almost 4 weeks in this picture, and the one in the back turned out to be a girl (she had the white patches on her shoulders too), and the one in the front a boy. If you notice though, he has a little less feather development and typical red in the shoulders. A week or two later (if that wasn't proof enough), his comb skyrocketed and turned bright red. So I'd hold off and just wait to be sure :)

I don't want to give you false hope but, EE's can be tricky sometimes, especially if white is involved!
576094_3533134761513_1116624921_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom