Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers - Which is Which?

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
I have 10 pullets, 5 of which are named, because those are the ones I am leaning towards keeping, and the rest will be rehomed. They were 4 weeks old two days ago, which is when this pic was taken. They are from Ideal Hatchery in Texas.

I purchased 5 Easter Eggers, and 5 Olive Eggers. I do not know which is which. The clearest difference, if it means anything, is leg color, but only 4 have yellow legs, and 6 have gray legs. The four with yellow legs had a clear resemblance to each other with their baby feathers, of being more to the brown/yellow side, with "racing stripes" down their backs (I have included a pic of them at 3 days old to see).

I know the pic from a couple of days ago isn't great for identifying everyone, but the little suckers move around so fast, it was the best I could do. If needed, for some of the keepers, I can post individual pics. The ones with names, I have also noted their leg color, and the ones with numbers, leg color noted with a y (yellow) or g (gray)

Is there any way of knowing which are Easter Eggers and which are Olive Eggers? Or am I going to be rolling the dice on keepers?

Attachments

• 3 days old.jpg
    3 days old.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 205
  • Group Pic2 Named.jpg
    Group Pic2 Named.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 110
These are their descriptions:
Easter Eggers are multicolored with pea combs, beards, muffs and clean, light black or gray legs and feet. They lay bluish green eggs with the occasional bird laying brown eggs

Ideal Olive Eggers will be crossed between Easter Eggers and either a Barnevelder or a Welsummer. This will create a multi-colored pattern similar to Easter Eggers with beards and muffs. They are excellent layers of olive-colored eggs with the occasional bird laying a brown eggs.

I am going to take a wild guess and say any with the red partridge pattern are your OE's, and the rest are your EE's, but that is just a guess based on what they say their OE's are mixes of

I am going to take a wild guess and say any with the red partridge pattern are your OE's, and the rest are your EE's, but that is just a guess based on what they say their OE's are mixes of
Being a total newb, can you tell me what you mean by partridge red pattern? I have a lot to learn, so will have a lot of basic questions!

Back
Top Bottom