Eastern Washington

thanks Ninetreesmom and Vickisgirls... actually ended up sending the little girl back home... she was just getting pecked too much, to the point of losing real feathers and getting to the meat! Poor baby! And there was just no point in that, so home she went back to her little sisters. Boo is doing well with his flock of 15 girls... woohoo for Boo! I miss him, but it is best for him. So, on we go with my two lovely Buff Orpington girls who are doing well. Thanks for your kind thoughts!

So my mother's friend, who keeps chickens, heard about how we lost Rosie, and she gave us two of her RIR pullets, along with some chicken supplies and even decorative rock for the garden. She's a doll, and I feel very grateful for her kindness.

We'll keep them quarantined in the big brooder for the next month before introducing them to the flock. In keeping with our Women of Science theme, they've been named Sally Ride and Henrietta Lacks, or just Sally and Hennie. Not quite sure which is which here, but Hennie has spots on her wing feathers, for now.

We still miss Rosie like crazy, and neither of these new girls will likely have her lovely disposition as they haven't been socialized, but it's nice to have red hens again, and it will be nice to have more eggs once they start laying. Ruth and Ada haven't been laying since the first few days after the attack, though Marie has. All three girls have been piling into the two nesting boxes to sleep. Marie figured out to sleep in the other nesting box after Ruth and Ada dog-piled her one night. I expect it feels safer to them.

So my mother's friend, who keeps chickens, heard about how we lost Rosie, and she gave us two of her RIR pullets, along with some chicken supplies and even decorative rock for the garden. She's a doll, and I feel very grateful for her kindness.

We'll keep them quarantined in the big brooder for the next month before introducing them to the flock. In keeping with our Women of Science theme, they've been named Sally Ride and Henrietta Lacks, or just Sally and Hennie. Not quite sure which is which here, but Hennie has spots on her wing feathers, for now.

We still miss Rosie like crazy, and neither of these new girls will likely have her lovely disposition as they haven't been socialized, but it's nice to have red hens again, and it will be nice to have more eggs once they start laying. Ruth and Ada haven't been laying since the first few days after the attack, though Marie has. All three girls have been piling into the two nesting boxes to sleep. Marie figured out to sleep in the other nesting box after Ruth and Ada dog-piled her one night. I expect it feels safer to them.

Welcome Sally and Hennie!! Oh so happy for you Chae! that's just great!
smile.png

Yay Chae! I am sure they will each be their own unique personality, but our unsocialized RIR that we got a little after POL became the nicest chicken in the flock, and boss hen to boot :)

Welcome Sally and Hennie!! Oh so happy for you Chae! that's just great!
smile.png

Yay Chae! I am sure they will each be their own unique personality, but our unsocialized RIR that we got a little after POL became the nicest chicken in the flock, and boss hen to boot :)

Thanks! We're very happy to have them. We decided to take her up on her offer of two pullets to make the transition easier on them. So far they seem to be enjoying life. At their old farm, they were being brooded inside, but since its so warm and they're feathered, we've been brooding them outside where they can get some sunshine and fresh air. They're still at the age where they make little chick peep noises, it's so cute.

Hey everyone, after being envious of your chicks all spring, my day is almost here...finally. My chickies have shipped!!!
wee.gif
I'm just so darned excited, I can hardly sit still! They're coming from Ohio, that's a long way for babies, so I'm nervous, too.

Vicki

Hey everyone, after being envious of your chicks all spring, my day is almost here...finally. My chickies have shipped!!!
wee.gif
I'm just so darned excited, I can hardly sit still! They're coming from Ohio, that's a long way for babies, so I'm nervous, too.

Vicki
Vicki,

If you want to pick your chicks up at the distribution center you can. They usually come in and end up sitting there until the next morning. Their number is 363-6210. Just tell them your name and that you are expecting chicks. You probably don't have a tracking number as most hatcheries send priority and don't get you one.

They will call when the chicks arrive and you can run up and get them. The distribution center is up on Spotted Road.

Gosh, that's really nice of you to give me the info. I actually do have a tracking number(from MPC.). The chicks arrived in Seattle this am. and I don't know if they'll ship to Spokane next, or directly to the Cle Elum p.o. It's a couple hours either way, so I'll just sit tight for now. I'll bet I've checked the tracking number a couple dozen times since they shipped out yesterday. Thanks so much for looking out for the babies. I'm anxious like I'm expecting or something(sort of embarrassing!).

Back
Top Bottom