Eastern Washington

Okay, well that's good news then. Thank you.

oh Vickis Girls how exciting!!! oh my goodness you are going to have so much fun... how many are coming? I was at the feed store the other days and they had new babies in, and it's hard to believe how little the new peeps are! Wow... keep us posted!!
yippiechickie.gif

I just updated the tracking and they've left Yakima and are on their way to Cle Elum. The p.o. said they'd call when they got there. I'm so excited. I ordered 2 light Brahma's, and 4 buff Brahma's. I searched for the most docile and cold hardy birds, which also had to be cute. These are those great big feather legged chickens. I'll learn how to post pics on here and show you. Thanks for sharing in my joy, maggierose!

Well, how sad is this... On the way home from the post office, I could smell something rotten. Three of the six were dead, and I'm pretty sure some idiot shook the box. They were well packaged, and no damage to the outside like it might have been dropped. The other one light and two buff Brahma chicks seem to be doing pretty good. They're eating and drinking. So my granddaughter and I are happy that half survived. We're going out to bury the others, and thankful her younger cousin isn't aware.
sad.png

Hey, update: these three little girls are doing so well! Turns out to be a happy day after all. We're glad to have three.

Last edited:
Well, how sad is this... On the way home from the post office, I could smell something rotten. Three of the six were dead, and I'm pretty sure some idiot shook the box. They were well packaged, and no damage to the outside like it might have been dropped. The other one light and two buff Brahma chicks seem to be doing pretty good. They're eating and drinking. So my granddaughter and I are happy that half survived. We're going out to bury the others, and thankful her younger cousin isn't aware.
sad.png
Hey, update: these three little girls are doing so well! Turns out to be a happy day after all. We're glad to have three.
Glad the survivors are doing well, and sad the others didn't make it. A gal at our feed store told us they get at least one shipment each spring in which most of the chicks are dead due to poor handling...shaking, leaving on hot /cold loading docks, etc. It is a shame, but eggs don't fare any better, so hard to overcome. Anyhow, enjoy your new fluff balls! They grow up so fast:)

sad.png

VickisGirls... oh sorry to hear of your losses... poor babies... but SO glad the others are doing well and thriving. Be careful not to blink... they grow that fast! Get lots of pictures when they're little! I look back at my peeps and it's hard to believe they were ever that small... and that was only 6 weeks ago! Enjoy those little fuzzy heads!

sad.png

Vicki, I'm so happy to hear you got your chickies but sad some didn't make it. Did you notify the hatchery?

Ninetreesmom I think you're right. During the busy chick season everyone is more careful as they're reminded all the time. This is so late in the season they've probably forgotten that chicks are fragile.

maggierose, I think they actually look bigger today than yesterday. They're so playful and cute. Granddaughter and I can't seem to leave them alone!

chickengarden,good to hear from you again! I can only imagine how busy you must be(ever get that garage roof done?). Yes, I called the hatchery right away, and they were very sympathetic and apologized. They'll refund the cost of the three chicks, which amounts to about 10.00. The problem here is that it was a six chick minimum order, and still is, so I would have to buy three more to go with the replacement chicks. I don't even have a big problem with that, but opted for the refund. Here's what my biggest regret is: I ordered six female chicks. Since it's a 50/50 male to female hatch rate, I'd guess the six males lost their lives. Then of the six females, three lives were lost in shipment. so nine babies were lost so that I could have these three. I don't think I'll ever order from a hatchery again. I just ordered a few hatching eggs instead, and I figure if I only get two, and they're both males, then that's the way it goes, and that's what I'm meant to have.
So on to the next adventure of hatching eggs. These three babies will be out of the brooder just in time. Oh my gosh...They're just adorable!

Well the happy day has arrived lol. We got our first egg last night
celebrate.gif
. the ladies were just standing there staring at it like it was poisonous. Nobody would go into the nest box until i removed it. It is a beautiful brown perfect little nugget of yumminess. Not a huge egg but not any smaller than a medium egg from the store. It is a bit early according to what i have been reading (It's been 15 weeks two days). I wasn't expecting eggs for another week. I do not know which one laid it but we have two Plymouth barred rock, three red sex link, and one that should be a New Hampshire red. We thought we had two of each but three look alike and one is definitely different. Looking forward to the rest starting to lay as i love omelets and baked goods.

Peace to you all,

Cam-n-sara

P.S. Just checked and another two eggs have appeared.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom