Eastern Washington

24 Olive Egger eggs hit my borrowed incubator next week, it's my first hatch! 12 will be coming ask the way from the east coast, and 12 from Idaho. IF the postal service doesn't scramble my eggs and IF I don't botch the hatch in my borrowed Styrofoam incubator (dry hatch? Not dry?) I will have olive egger chicks for sale!

That's a lot of ifs, but leave room in your coop for an Oliver! What's a fair price, straight run ya think?

North of Spokane here, I breed Legbar x Maran. I sell them for $10 Straight run, about a week old. I usually don't sell until the wings are started, in order to weed out the early "Failure to Thrive" chicks. Mine sell quickly, so maybe it is too cheap, I am not sure.

Thanks KendyF, that's about what I was thinking. I'd maybe keep 4 or 5 of the prettiest ones until they were old enough to sex and sell the rest early. The demand seems good. Thanks for the input! Do you list with Craigslist or here or a Facebook group or a combination of things? I'm SO counting my chickens before they hatch but still it's good to be prepared.

North of Spokane here, I breed Legbar x Maran. I sell them for $10 Straight run, about a week old. I usually don't sell until the wings are started, in order to weed out the early "Failure to Thrive" chicks. Mine sell quickly, so maybe it is too cheap, I am not sure.

24 Olive Egger eggs hit my borrowed incubator next week, it's my first hatch! 12 will be coming ask the way from the east coast, and 12 from Idaho. IF the postal service doesn't scramble my eggs and IF I don't botch the hatch in my borrowed Styrofoam incubator (dry hatch? Not dry?) I will have olive egger chicks for sale!

That's a lot of ifs, but leave room in your coop for an Oliver! What's a fair price, straight run ya think?

Congrats! Does your incubator have a fan? I have one of those styrofoam incubators and didn't have much success with it until I added a fan and increased my humidity. I recently hatched some local eggs and had an 80% hatch rate, which is pretty great! Before that my hatch rate was 30%. What I did to increase the humidity was essentially installed a drip line that goes in to the incubator channels so that they stay filled with little intervention. (TriCities area is really dry.)

I'd probably pay $5-10 for a straight run chick of good quality.

Last edited:
Thanks! The incubator I was lent is a Styrofoam little giant with a non working thermometer, a touchy temperature knob and no egg turner or fan. Another friend has access to one that is supposedly better that I'll get tomorrow. Please, please let it be better but I know beggars can't be choosers. Someone in Pullman has a brinsea for $200 on Craigslist, I'm tempted.

Thanks! The incubator I was lent is a Styrofoam little giant with a non working thermometer, a touchy temperature knob and no egg turner or fan. Another friend has access to one that is supposedly better that I'll get tomorrow. Please, please let it be better but I know beggars can't be choosers. Someone in Pullman has a brinsea for $200 on Craigslist, I'm tempted.

Oooh, that's a good deal. :)

Thanks KendyF, that's about what I was thinking. I'd maybe keep 4 or 5 of the prettiest ones until they were old enough to sex and sell the rest early. The demand seems good. Thanks for the input! Do you list with Craigslist or here or a Facebook group or a combination of things? I'm SO counting my chickens before they hatch but still it's good to be prepared.

I post on a local FB page and on Craigslist. :) This is my second summer of selling them, so I also have people who ask for them.

Congrats!  Does your incubator have a fan?  I have one of those styrofoam incubators and didn't have much success with it until I added a fan and increased my humidity.  I recently hatched some local eggs and had an 80% hatch rate, which is pretty great!  Before that my hatch rate was 30%.  What I did to increase the humidity was essentially installed a drip line that goes in to the incubator channels so that they stay filled with little intervention.  (TriCities area is really dry.)

I'd probably pay $5-10 for a straight run chick of good quality.

I live near tri cities in quincy in fact I sell chicks as well can't hatch them fast enough for people wanting to buy them

Hello,

I will be moving to North Richland and want to have chickens there. Will I have any predator issues in that area?

Thanks
Serj

Back
Top Bottom