Eastern Washington

My news doesn't get better...
On the morning of the 4th, I discovered Butterball had been ripped apart. She kept perching on top of the chicken run and it was hard to get her off and into the waterfowl pen so I told my daughter she could leave her there the night before. Being a 15+lb bird I thought she'd be fine. I'm so angry with myself over it. I'm dying to get a camera set up out there so I can see the creatures who wander my field. I know it happened in the morning, as I heard her chattering at some point around 7am, so I'm pretty sure it was a dog. It peesses me off that people let there dogs roam around here so much!
Then my cocker got her yearly cheat-in-the-ears which gave me another VERY unnecessary bill. We have torched the cheat grass in the dog yard, which helped a great deal, but there is a small amount in the backyard and if there is ANY Kahlua will find it!
After I had a breakdown this weekend I've been able to steer myself toward positivity again and am sure things will look up! Thanks for reading my rant! :)

oh so sorry lovinmychickypoos... that is sad
sad.png

As far as weasels go, I've never seen one but know they can be here. As a kid, my uncle saw one bothering his birds. The amount of damage done to the turkey points to a bigger predator, most likely a dog ( people are horrible about letting their dogs roam here,) being that it was not so early morning. I'm not someone who wants to kill a dog over doing what is instinctual, but will do what I have to. I'd much rather punch the owners in the face for not properly caring for their pet. There is a fence around the property but a good portion is just straight white that isn't electrified. Whatever has done damage to my flock comes through the neighbor's pasture into my field. It always comes down to money :(

Chae, you enjoy this time as much as you can! Hopefully you have plenty of time off work ( if you work out of the home) because the 6 wks I had wasn't nearly enough. Soak up any rest you can!

Chickengarden, do you have a broody hen or an incubator so you could possibly hatch those eggs? Oh, but what if they turn out to be rattlesnake eggs? Eeewww, scary!
ep.gif

Bersa is beautiful. Our youngest Shepherd is black and mahogany-red like her.

Chickypoos, I don't know what's less money, a critter cam or electric fencing, but I loved your solution(punching the neighbor). Just make sure you've got your homeowner's ins. paid!
gig.gif
So do dogs kill chickens for sport? That's awful.

I
Chae, you enjoy this time as much as you can! Hopefully you have plenty of time off work ( if you work out of the home) because the 6 wks I had wasn't nearly enough. Soak up any rest you can!

I'm not working at the moment, we decided that it wouldn't be worth it to have me working basically just to pay for childcare. So I'll be staying home with June-Bug at least until we get really settled at our next duty station next year, where ever that ends up being.

People in our neighborhood let their dogs roam, too. So irritating!

I
I'm not working at the moment, we decided that it wouldn't be worth it to have me working basically just to pay for childcare. So I'll be staying home with June-Bug at least until we get really settled at our next duty station next year, where ever that ends up being.

People in our neighborhood let their dogs roam, too. So irritating!

Oh that is so cool! I really wish we would've done that. I was a wreck going back to work. Everybody has different situations and there is no one way that is right for all, but for me it would've been better if I had stayed home early on. But at least I've been able to be home for the last two years during my daughter's next critical phase (puberty, yuck)! We were fortunate to have my mom babysit during the early years.

Chickengarden, here's "Maxx", the big(150lb) Shepherd. His parents were from Germany, and we got him in hopes of getting a healthier dog without the hip problems. He's the one who has to eat kangaroo because he's allergic to everything else, but at least his hips are strong.
he.gif
The older Shepherd, "Wayne" is a typical black/tan.His hips are fine, and he can and does eat crap and everything else without any problems,

Here's Bonnie on the left. She's the buff Brahma. Maggie is the Light Brahma on the right, and Sophie is the buff in the background. I take them outside everyday for an hour or so for a field trip. They love it, and sleep so good afterward. I can't wait to get them out of the house. Their brooder is in the closet under the stairs.
They'll go out in about 10 days, just as the eggs in the incubator hatch and we start all over again. I don't really know what I was thinking. These chicks don't seem to like me much at all, and I've picked them up, hand fed them, and talked to them everyday. ungrateful, I guess, but at least they're cute to look at.

Last edited:
Beautiful pup Vicki. I used to train G Sheps as service dogs, then I did a lot of work with police dogs. I currently have a G Shep greyhound cross (imagine a shepherd on stilts) who is turning 14 this year. I keep thinking about getting a shepherd when he is gone, as we want a combination flock guardian / farm warning system, but I bet at least 1/2 of the dogs I worked with had food allergies, and the other 1/2 developed spinal problems as they got old (not hip...as working dogs they were strongly selected for healthy hips!). I dont know if I want to take those odds!

I have always handled my birds from the time they are chicks, and very few have turned out "cuddly". Some of it is breed, there are some that are known for their docility (Orpingtons for example), but I think a lot of it is just luck. All of my girls are nice to be around, no pecking etc., come when called, follow me around the yard, but only a few tolerate being handled well, and none of them ask for it. Sigh. I am pretty happy with the way things are though. Good luck!

Thanks, Ninetrees. Maxx has always looked like a pup, even though he's 5. He's been a wonderful friend, and not nervous like some of the Shepherds we've had. I really love the breed, but with every pup, we stepped up and paid the higher price with a different breeder, only to end up with some sort of issue later. I agree, odds are not in favor of a problem free dog.

So yesterday it was a bit chilly, so I decided to not take my ungrateful chicks out for a field trip. They got to sit in the closet all day, and I would just go sit in there with them and offer treats and talk to them. Funny thing is, I think they liked not being handled. They came to the side of their little brooder and looked happier than I've seen them before. So maybe that's the secret, and next week when they go to the coop they'll always be glad to see me because I won't need to pick them up. They really are so darling and it's hard to resist.

Are you the one who is going to build a home in (I think) the SE. corner?
Vicki

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom