Eastern Washington

So, a few days ago it looked like Fancy might be missing. No sign of her anywhere
sad.png
Then, at next flock check, there she was! Hmmmm.....odd. But glad she wasn't "lost". A couple of days later, I saw her hop the fence into the neighbor's yard (fortunately, they LOVE my chickens and their young children have adopted them as their own...very cute). She disappeared before I could get over to the yard to see where she went. There are a lot of bushes along our fence line, but I couldn't find her in them anywhere. Curiouser and curiouser. I suspected that Fancy was laying somewhere next door, but couldn't find where.

Yesterday I left the girls in their coop run while I was at work, instead of letting them out to range, in the hopes that Fancy would use the nest box like everyone else. When I let them out after I got home mid-afternoon, she ran to the fence, hopped onto it, then into the neighbor's yard. Darn! I ran over, but again she had eluded me. I was being outsmarted by a very determined chicken. So today I had my daughter open up the run while I made myself inconspicuous in the neighbor's yard. Sure enough, Fancy made her way over the fence, but instead of going into the fence line bushes, she purposefully strolled across the yard to some bushes that I thought were too far away from the fence for her to safely consider. I watched her go into these bushes, and moved in afterher. Oh My Goodness!!! She was sitting on a HUGE clutch of eggs! I chased her out and retrieved 17 eggs.
Yes....17!
barnie.gif
She must have been laying there for about 3 weeks. Guess who doesn't get to range until she figures out where the nest box is.

So, a few days ago it looked like Fancy might be missing. No sign of her anywhere
sad.png
Then, at next flock check, there she was! Hmmmm.....odd. But glad she wasn't "lost". A couple of days later, I saw her hop the fence into the neighbor's yard (fortunately, they LOVE my chickens and their young children have adopted them as their own...very cute). She disappeared before I could get over to the yard to see where she went. There are a lot of bushes along our fence line, but I couldn't find her in them anywhere. Curiouser and curiouser. I suspected that Fancy was laying somewhere next door, but couldn't find where.

Yesterday I left the girls in their coop run while I was at work, instead of letting them out to range, in the hopes that Fancy would use the nest box like everyone else. When I let them out after I got home mid-afternoon, she ran to the fence, hopped onto it, then into the neighbor's yard. Darn! I ran over, but again she had eluded me. I was being outsmarted by a very determined chicken. So today I had my daughter open up the run while I made myself inconspicuous in the neighbor's yard. Sure enough, Fancy made her way over the fence, but instead of going into the fence line bushes, she purposefully strolled across the yard to some bushes that I thought were too far away from the fence for her to safely consider. I watched her go into these bushes, and moved in afterher. Oh My Goodness!!! She was sitting on a HUGE clutch of eggs! I chased her out and retrieved 17 eggs.
Yes....17!
barnie.gif
She must have been laying there for about 3 weeks. Guess who doesn't get to range until she figures out where the nest box is.

They are so dang smart!
yuckyuck.gif

Lost our whole flock to a coyote or dog. Not sure. Have a very sad second grader here. Bad night.

Grrr, responded to a CL ad for straw hoping to get several bales for a duck/goose shelter. The plan was to head to the place after my daughter's lesson. So I get there (waaay north Pasco) and no one is there. No one answers the phone. I finally get a call when I'm almost home 40min away and can't answer as I'm driving. They don't leave a message. Now do I give them another chance since it is the closest source I have found reasonably priced, assuming there was some emergency or misunderstanding? I would have felt better if they would've left a message explaining what happened.

That is very frustrating, lovin. I guess it depends on much you need the straw and how difficult it will be to find a new source. Maybe call them and work out them delivering to you or meeting half-way since they missed the scheduled time.
Hope it works out!

Back
Top Bottom