Eastern Washington

What wimps! There was barely a dusting of snow!

Yay!!! We finally finished our move! We got to our new house 12:30 am on Thanksgiving, and have been unpacking ever since. So much to do, especially with the cold weather making an appearance. We got 9" of snow yesterday, and it is snowing again today (we are 2000' above the Walla Walla valley). No snow plows on our primitive road, so hubby was out on the tractor all morning. My flock was loving their new larger home, but they have not ventured outside at all since the snow started. They look at me VERY reproachfully when I go out to bring them warm water. Hee Hee. Hopefully I can get their heated nipple bucket built tomorrow to save myself that chore!

Chae, we just retired from the Army, and I am still adjusting to the fact that we just did our last move! It is a relief, I must say. All the best to you, and I am so glad you are on the ball with your Corgi... saw too many people in tough situations with their pets over the years, especially with moves to England or Hawaii.

Lovin Chicky, what kind of netting do you have over your pen and where did you find it? I just have deer mesh, but it is plastic and seems kinda wimpy for the long haul, especially in the winds we get up here.

Hope everyone is staying snug!

Another snow dusting overnight. It's so cold that every morning I have to bring the rabbit water bowls inside and run them under hot water to thaw them out, then take them back outside and fill them with bottles brought from the house! Another reason to not like the cold - the hose is frozen. :(

The 4-H club has placed the poultry order, and mine are coming March 3rd! I am receiving 3 black Japanese bantams. I've been doing research (including attempting to read through a 64 page thread on them on this forum), and this is what I've found out about the short legs:

Short leg + long leg = 50% short leg, 50% long leg.
Short leg + short leg = 50% short leg, 25% long leg, 25% dead within days of hatch.

Since I'm already getting hatched chicks, I don't have to worry about the 25% dead. However, I'm getting these for showing, and I can only keep females. They are coming straight run, so if there is a 50% chance they will be males, and a 50% chance that they will be long legged, I have, like, I don't know, 25% chance of getting short legged pullets? XD And that's what I'll need if I'm going to be showing them!

On the Murray McMurray hatchery website, it says that they are short legged, but "you may experience medium to long legged chicks".

fl.gif
I'm praying I'll get short legged pullets!
fl.gif
Otherwise I'll have to run down to the feed store and get some that I can pick out by hand and judge before purchase, not have randomly picked out and sent to me.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Just wanted to touch base with you. It's been a long time.
Ninetrees, congrats!!! Our first winter here we were in a travel trailer while we built the garage. Then we moved into the garage while we built the house. What an adventure. I learned so much about so many aspects of construction. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Chae, You are in for the adventure of a lifetime! Drop us a line sometime and let us know how you're doing.
We just had our first green Christmas in about ten years. Oh well, we'll get our snow. We always do.
So last July I hatched my first little egg which turned out to be the little cockerel in my avatar. He turned on me a couple weeks ago, growling and threatening me, raising his wings, chasing the granddaughter. He had to go. I blamed it on being an only hatchling, and thought he just couldn't help it. I've just learned that cockerels need to be ignored or they see us as equals and they'll challenge us to be top rooster. All this time I thought If I really showed him affection that he would love me too. I mostly want to know if I'm the only person on here who didn't have any idea of this. I feel so ****** stupid! Now, the next hatch of three is growing up(4mos.)and I've been holding them, too. And, get this...they're all cockerels! 4 for 4! I'm going to start ignoring them in hopes they'll respect me later on. They're Gold Brahma's, and are so docile. The last one never was very social. So tell me, am I the only one who didn't know I shouldn't handle a cockerel? What's the point of keeping them?
Thanks, hope to hear from someone soon.

The weather is still cold and icy outside but I am thinking of spring chickens and building a coop and filling it up. Hope everyone has a joyous holiday and hope to see more posts! Its like a mini treat when I get notified someone has posted in here.
smile.png

My goose has been sitting on her nest for a week now :/. The last two days the gander has joined her. This is not an ideal time of year for this silliness! They are hatchery Africans(?) and are not even a year old so I was not even expecting eggs until spring. Anyone with goose experience here? I posted on a goose thread but haven't got a responseas to whether or not I should pull her off and break broodiness or just let her finish out the month. She has, I think, 3 eggs under her but I doubt they are fertile.

The weather is still cold and icy outside but I am thinking of spring chickens and building a coop and filling it up. Hope everyone has a joyous holiday and hope to see more posts! Its like a mini treat when I get notified someone has posted in here.
smile.png

Hi! Washington folks are a fun group. If you enjoy seeing new posts you can check out the other Washington thread, too. It's not just for Wet folks, but many are. I'm a hybrid, born and raised on the dry side, dragged to the wet side. Link Here

Back
Top Bottom