Eastern Washington

Hi all, My neighbor and I have a few older hens that we'd like to give away. My black australorp, 3 or 4 years old, and her two 2.5 year old red stars. I'm not sure if the australorp still lays eggs, and only one of the red stars lays occasionally. They're still great for bug control or even a soup pot, but we live in the city which limits the number of hens we can keep. Located in West Richland. Thanks!

Also, you may be interested to hear that there's a group on Facebook called "Backyard Urban Chickens (Eastern Washington)" that is pretty active. And someone local to the tricities has started hatching special breeds and selling the unsexed chicks. :)
Oooh, I'm gonna ask to join too! My chickens are 13 weeks old now and it feels like the next 5 weeks are gonna take forever! I know it will be worth it though.

Hola All! Anyone around the Yakima area? One of my delightful Americana pullets has transformed into a beautiful roo! That won't work with the city ordinances. Anyone like to pick him up for free?

Last edited:
Hmmm I wonder...One of my birds had the strangest vocalization today and I'm wondering if she is a he? Tune in to find out because I also live in town and am not allowed to have roo's...

Advice please! I have twelve pullets/chickens average age 19.5 weeks. One has been laying for two weeks in the nesting boxes (tomorrow). The others are making egg call vocalizations but no eggs that I can find. I've been letting them free range and can't find sign that they are laying outdoors. But would they do practice calls or do I need to search harder? I'd lock them in the coop for twentyfour...but it's 95 plus degrees and I think it would cook them.

@IAMADOL They can be really sneaky. If you have either time to watch them until they lay or kids that can follow them around. I don't let mine free-range until I get home from work because I don't trust my dogs. My neighbor does though and often has to have the kids stalk the chickens until she can find the missing egg nest. Good Luck!

Found a second egg today and the strangest thing is that it was laid right in the open by the feed and water.

I am happy to report that my birds are all hens and laying albeit some with strange vocalizations. My next question is about maintaining egg numbers. I do not plan on butchering my hens. I know that their prime egg laying years are the first two. How long do chickens live? Is it better to add a few new chicks every year or a larger amount every other year?

I got my first egg today! So excited, it's fertile too. Anyone local plan on doing any hatching this year or early next year? I'm thinking it would be fun to practice before I need new chicks and I could sell them straight run or whatever. Anyone have an incubator they won't be using I could borrow or one for sale?

Back
Top Bottom