Eat with chickens

Pics
Strawberry Friday!
The major bonus today includes strawberry heads, brussel sprout butts, and carrot peels
11187.jpg

11179.jpg

Also their own eggs~
11180.jpg

11181.jpg

Outside is freezing, and a warm breakfast is always finished within minutes.
11182.jpg

I used these small cups to give them fresh water.
11185.jpg

Easy to clean
I empty them in the evening and provide room temperature water during day time. As I work from home, it's not a problem for me.
11183.jpg

11186.jpg

Stealing your idea - hope you don’t mind! I thought grinding the scraps was GENIUS! Our chickens are SO picky, most times anything other than the usual head of lettuce we give them they won’t touch, but I still throw the scraps out there anyway. I’ve noticed they don’t like the bigger, hard to eat things like carrots either. Usually I have more luck if I cut everything up small for them, but that’s quite laborious when you have a lot of scraps! Throwing this out there for them and going to see what they think😊

Attachments

• C47D6DE8-FD1B-40E6-954B-CE4420211CCF.jpeg
    C47D6DE8-FD1B-40E6-954B-CE4420211CCF.jpeg
    633.1 KB · Views: 4
Chickens are amazing for reducing food waste in your household. I compost IN my chicken run, so pile and flock don’t compete for organics.

The USDA estimates that each American generates about one pound of food waste per day.
We throw all of our scraps into the chicken run. When the straw starts getting deep I rake out the run. The uneaten bits, chicken poop, and straw get piled up for about 6 months in a corner of the yard before getting used in the veggie garden. I love the circular economy of our backyard.

I don't know what is BSFL (I live in Germany). I used the commercial feed for laying hens and then added what we have at hand. Besides winter, they have tons of homegrown veggies to enjoy. Last year we harvested about 150kg of veggies and fruits, and I guessed, chickens consumed at least another 50kg, especially all kinds of leafy greens.
Black soldier fly larvae

Stealing your idea - hope you don’t mind! I thought grinding the scraps was GENIUS! Our chickens are SO picky, most times anything other than the usual head of lettuce we give them they won’t touch, but I still throw the scraps out there anyway. I’ve noticed they don’t like the bigger, hard to eat things like carrots either. Usually I have more luck if I cut everything up small for them, but that’s quite laborious when you have a lot of scraps! Throwing this out there for them and going to see what they think😊
Great that you like this method!

I only feed my chickens twice a day, one in the morning and one much smaller portion before they go to bed. In between, they have random and extra snacks directly put in their runs. The morning feed is to provide sufficient nutrition, especially in winter. For me, this is the most practical way under the current circumstance, regardless of the temperament or preference of each hen.

Meanwhile, the edible plants, bones, fruits, any bonus elements I directly put in their runs - it's up to their willingness and capability to get what they want and how they like to enjoy the food.

Here is a small area in the garden, where I originally had my cold compost piles. Last year I did a small experiment and let the hens work here for a few seasons. Now it's almost ready for becoming my new weed-free no-dig patch. I fully understand and appreciate chickens' ability to speed up the decomposition.

I will apply the similar way so they can be helpful doing weeding in the orchard area, too. :D
10659.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning! We have decided to order a pallet of chicken and quail feed. The local supplier didn't increase the price so far, and we will get an extra 15% discount for that amount and also a free pallet. We have proper space to store them.

11481.jpg

However, taking good advantage of kitchen scrap and planting more would be also what we will do this year.
11480.jpg

For example, I sowed a lot of broad beans - I love the young shoots, the leaves are a perfect supply for the chickens, beans of course delicious, and the pods can feed compost bins well.
11288.jpg

When the scraps have a better place to go (to feed the chicken), they won't go to the compost.
11482.jpg

Used eggshells, I would bake them for a while so it's easier to smash them into finer pieces. If we directly throw them into the compost, they will remain that shape for years.
11483.jpg

Now it's ready to go - majorly to the compost, a small portion for the chicken.
11484.jpg

11485.jpg

Today's breakfast is ready to serve.
11486.jpg

Back
Top Bottom