eBay sellers still selling hatching eggs from avian flu infected areas

That refers to the initial findings in Tennessee only. There have now been 4 states with documented cases of avian influenza in chickens.
I've been following links all over the USDA website and can find nothing more. There was mention of one turkey farm in Indiana as an isolated incident, and the links above. What other states has it been found in and when? Can you link the articles? I've been traveling for a family emergency and only got back a few week ago so I must have missed the news of more positive tests in other states. I was only aware of TN.

Thank you!
Why isn't this info on the USDA website? SMH. I did google and find article that briefly mentioned all 4 states, but it was really nonchalantly written. It seems like they didn't seem to think it affected anyone other thank the likes of Tyson and Jennie-O.

It looks like here in MD they are now requiring anyone who sells eggs or live poultry to have a permit and be NPIP. Surely it can't be in response to AI though since AI testing isn't required. I suppose it would help deter people from illegally selling or buying from non NPIP sources though since that would invalidate your own certification. :/ I wonder if more states are going to start being as strict.

Last edited:
I hope not. here in Pennsylvania they have added so many laws and regulations to the basic NPIP program that it's almost impossible to get NPIP. Huge paperwork and expense.

I hope not. here in Pennsylvania they have added so many laws and regulations to the basic NPIP program that it's almost impossible to get NPIP. Huge paperwork and expense.

I know. It seems like the NPIP rules basically want you to run your backyard like a factory, with the birds enclosed in a building so there is no possibility with interaction with little tweety birds or a bit of bedding blowing into the yard. At least, that is how I interpret that part of the regulations. There needs to be no way for "nonpoultry" activities to overlap with poultry activities? Well, guess what, my birds like to scratch and peck in my driveway and bushes around my house, so there goes that! I simply can't/won't raise my birds the way they are talking about. And I'm also not going to start washing and refrigerating my eggs that I sell unless a buyer requests it.

ETA I'm not sure how extensive the expenses are here, unless they make you make a bunch of changes to your "facilities" like I describe above. The annual cost is $25. Salmonella testing is 50 cents/bird when the MDA does the initial inspection and then you have the costs of the independent tester after that (testing fee, the test supplies, leg bands, and so on).

Last edited:
I just found out from a facebook post here: https://www.facebook.com/msboardofanimalhealth/posts/1409537649104319 that the states currently involved are Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky or Georgia

ETA:

Oh and duh, the states were listed up above... I thought they collecting links from places concerned about importing, rather than ones of concern about exporting. Dyslexia gets me everytime :rolleyes:

Would still like to know if anyone finds a map being kept updated (visuals are much easier for me to understand and remember). The CDC site doesn't seem to be up to date. :(

Last edited:
I think that one of the two following are what is going on:

These strains are ones that only affect birds and not people that the state and federal government agencies involved and the news outlets won't spend the extra resources and man hours spreading news that only a small percentage of the population would care about on it.

--or--

There are a lot of stupid people. Giving this more coverage than necessary could cause panic and lasting problems for the poultry industry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom