eBay sellers still selling hatching eggs from avian flu infected areas

I can't speak for Alabama--I believe they have a full poultry hold order in effect. I declined to have eggs shipped from a hatchery (using that term loosely although that's what she calls herself) because of the hold. I do know that one incident of avian flu was found in a north georgia commercial facility and that the birds were destroyed. of course, there is the scuttle that a commercial farmer makes more money in the insurance claim recovery than if s/he'd actually sold the birds...

BUT, to the point of the GA dept of Ag order here, the stop is only on swap meets or gatherings at shows where lots of birds from indeterminate origin might convene. There is no stop or hold on sales of birds or eggs outside of those specific categories. For instance, I drove 40 miles to buy some eggs. The person who I bought from asked me not to drive onto her property so she didn't have to sanitize my tires. People are stepping up biosecurity here but there is no restriction other than in meets, swaps, flea market or auctions at this time. Read the press release below. It is much better than newspaper articles which lean toward sensationalizing issues.

http://agr.georgia.gov/continuation-of-suspension-of-poultry-assembly-in-georgia.aspx

Back
Top Bottom