EDIT: Brand New, Getting 6 Pullets in TWO WEEKS. -cries-

The rocks in the water is not necessary, it just helps. They need to dip their beak in the water to drink so leave enough room for that. They don't need the rocks after a week.

yellow down color means they are going to be white, the breed is much harder. The only thing that worries me about yellow chicks its hard to tell which are layers and which are meaties at first. people seem to end up with meaties when they wanted layers way too often. Not knowing untill after they get attached too them. The cornishXrock Meat birds don't make good pets due their very short life span.

Post pics when you get them.

x.__hearts&&roses :

Quote:
Would normal rocks work?

or do they have to be little?

small enough to fit in the waterer.
smile.png
and so they have a little room to drink the wATER.​

Hey
smile.png
Im glad your getting chickens!! You'll love them! I know most everyone has answered your questions but everyone has a different idea so i'm going to answer a few for you
smile.png
I just got some Silkie chickens and need to know a few of your questions too
big_smile.png

PS... I didnt read the other answers so...if i say anything others have said sorry!
smile.png

Well, You'll need to make sure the temp is at 95 degrees (Silkies need 90 or 85) as the starting temp... at each week lower it 5 degrees.

Move them out when they have all their feathers. Which is yeah, about 2 months.

You'll know if their sick... They act wobbly... Ive never had a sick chick though... out of 14 chickens and 2 ducks i think thats pretty good
smile.png

Hopefully you dont get a rooster.. You'll be able to tell if you do by their comb at about 2 months.

#1California Chick :

What breeds does your friend have??

They have a lot of different breads. I don't know them all.
They have some black ones, and white, but I don't know the name.

My friend is in the hospital now, so I can't ask her.​

Grrrr...

I called the supplies store and they said that I needed to pre-order the chicks I wanted. I have to wait another two weeks before I can get them. I get the chicks June 10 or June 11. The good part is now I have time to get all the supplies. I really wanted my chicks now, but I guess I have to wait another two weeks.

They haven't even hatched yet, they said that I would get them when they are a day old. I cannot wait!!!!!

~Bekah

amour.chicks :

Grrrr...

I called the supplies store and they said that I needed to pre-order the chicks I wanted. I have to wait another two weeks before I can get them. I get the chicks June 10 or June 11. The good part is now I have time to get all the supplies. I really wanted my chicks now, but I guess I have to wait another two weeks.

They haven't even hatched yet, they said that I would get them when they are a day old. I cannot wait!!!!!

~Bekah

Are the chicks coming from hatchery or somebody that hatches them? Call the store and ask them.
If you order them you are more likely to get what you wanted. Rather than picking out the bins of chicks at the feed store.
Some breeds make better pets than others.
It would probably be a good idea to find out what breeds they have first. Why do you want just yellow/white chickens? they only stay yellow for about 3wks. At 6-8wks they look like adults but smaller.​

Back
Top Bottom