EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

the tiny little blue one in the front is the one he nearly beheaded. She's doing okay though.

I can't tell if any of them are girls... i assume she's a girl.

Poor things
sad.png
my girl cat follows me around and has a healthy respect for my birds. She doesn't attack them. She gives them a healthy amount of space, even when she follows me into the pen to watch me feed/water them.

The boys aren't like that. All 3 of her boy kittens are vicious killers, just for the sheer fun of killing things. They aren't like her.

And what's funny, is she hates ALL three of them. She's fine with my indoor cats, but absolutely despises her own babies.

Okay...I read through the info for the differences that we will have this time around with the eggs being shipped: We have a Brinsea 40 and humidity pump. Our last incubation (our first with the Brinsea) we had the temp set to 99.4...and the humidity set to 44%. We had 19 eggs and all hatched out and are healthy :) We turned the cooling feature on, on day 7 and used that time to candle eggs twice before lock down. We incubated with them on their side instead of "pointy end down"....they were slightly tilted. On lockdown we just put them down on their little no slip mat and only had to help one escape from it's egg. So....from my understanding it will differ this time as follows:
Get eggs from post office. Candle and find the air cell.
Wait at least 6 hours before placing in the incubator. Bringing to room temperature.
If air cell in in tact we can keep in the incubator in the cradle for them to begin turning right away....
If the air cell is jiggly or saddle etc we need to wait to turn anywhere up to 3 days
(The when to turn is throwing me off a bit)
Also...If it is jiggly/saddle shaped do we candle after 24 hours in the incubator with no turning to look and see if the air bubble has attached??
We are planning on throwing some of our Easter Eggers eggs in the incubator as well...So will they be okay with the possibility of not turning for a bit if that step is necessary??
Then we wait....lock down comes around and my question is...we have to keep the shipped eggs tilted?? So I cannot place them directly on the no-slip mat??
And lastly...Do we need to alter the temp/humidity from last time or are we good to go there??
Man...there's so much to learn with this shipping eggs business lol!! We are doing this for breeding purposes but I'm going to be more crazy this time around then I was with our flocks last incubation round!!
Thanks for the input and advice! We really appreciate it :)
you can settle for up to 24 I usually make sure they are at room temp, this is important as you dont want them to sweat.

Basically you need to mark the eggs with the worst air cells and turn them cautiously and gently after you give them time to heal, some wont ever heal, but you still should keep upright during incubation and most do upright at hatch too.

I treat each egg differently it depends on how it heals, some I can barely turn for the entire incubation

humidity all depends on those air cells when they come! most of us start at 35% and adjust as needed after day 7

Last edited:
Last edited:
Cell phone mostly

I screen shot anything I want to remember on any site, not just byc, info, pics, even recipes. That way I don't have to re-look stuff up. Phone keeps the screenshots separate from my pics so not a big deal or mess and easy to delete individually or all when need be.

Back
Top Bottom