EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Well, I "rested my eyes" for a good long while - I needed that. Hands are BOTH numb, but at least not hurting. Sitting here drinking coffee, waiting for my hands to work well enough to head out and do chores.

:fl Please continue to share pics - I would love to watch him grow up. :love

Well, I was just being stupid and bullheaded about the dry plucking thing. It IS easier to pluck after scalding - dry plucking takes more force. I should have known better after the issues I had with my wrists after building. :he

There is a REALLY good thread on BYC that is the "broody" version of this thread. VERY good advice over there, active enough that folks usually answer questions after not too long:

Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I've read that you should give the broody a private place to sit if other chickens are interfering with the nest. Some people rig this inside the coop so that re-integration of the broody and chicks isn't as hard. You will also need to make sure that all the eggs are the same "age" and new ones haven't been laid (or be ready with an incubator when mama leaves them to tend the earlier chicks).

:plbb Thanks. I think.

You know, I was so pleased with the bodies of the birds I culled that I'm already planning new hatches for the Fall. I was going over different breeding options my head during all that plucking...

I hate this - I quoted this, but now can't see what image I'm quoting, so I don't know what I wanted to say... :he

Edit - It's your pip photo:

:clap Remember I had those eggs that lost like 25% weight and there seemed to be no room? All of them hatched early and healthy. So I'm pulling for these little ones. :fl

:hugs:hugs:hugs

Interesting that you bring this up, because I was actually contemplating the same thing, at least for the GNH boys. They have normal poops, but because they have big fluffy butts, there's some poop there. I want to clean it (to make sure no risk of fly strike) and also give them a good once over check while doing it. They're so big that I think I need to buy a utility sink though...

No one can answer if you don't ask - ask the question in the same post. :rolleyes:

Well, I've got bread dough rising, and my hands are starting to feel more normal (I can close them and am less worried about dropping things). So I'd better get to it.

After I finish this cup of coffee...

:caf

- Ant Farm
Nice!

Back
Top Bottom