EE hen not well, not sure if it's heat or eggbound.

baltimoreharps

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Cabarrus Co.
And I've looked at both in the search function. She is a yr old EE, has been laying daily since I got her flock about a month ago. Usually bright and skittish, bright eyes, interest in food, and they all have been kept in isolation away from the other flocks.
Her diet is laying pellets free choice, lots of water in a small baby pool that is filled several times a day in this heat, (115 heat index today, heavy humidity) and lots of cold treats from the garden that are put in the fridge, tomato, cukes, squash, watermelon, cantelope. If it's hot like today has been, I've wet down thier favorite spot several times also.
The EE in question I noticed about 5:30 when I went to check on everyone again. She was standing, wings down, panting heavily, very lethargic and not herself at all. Since I was alreaday watering, I picked her up, put her under the hose and gently lowered her into the baby pool and got her bottom wet and got some nice cold water under her wings. She perked up after that and wanted nothing to do with me at that point, so I made sure she was walking fine and eating and went back to tending to the other 100 chickens.
I made sure to check on her and when I didn't see her anywhere, went out. She was laying on the cool dirt from the water that was sprayed earlier, but wasn't panting. She was just brething slowly and didn't look right. She got up s soon as I got close, but those wings were back down again, and when she stood up, there was a lot of very watery poop that looked like it could have some egg in it so I went and isolated her in the house to try to get her cooled off more quickly. Before I isolated her, I did a full check on her. No messy poo or feathers, no mites or lice, vent is pulsing but not swollen or red, eyes bright and clear and comb red. She is in a small bathroom with water with poly vi sol and nothing else as of yet.
From what I've read over the last 30 mins and over the last couple of years here at BYC, it could be heat exhaustion or she could be egg bound. Her bottom is not swollen at all and if she's already overheated, I'm wary of trying a warm bath right now if that shouldn't be a concern.
Help??
hmm.png

First on all bring her in the house to start cooling her down. If she is too hot a short hose bath will not do the trick. Once inside, reach under her from behind, feeling her bones on both sides. You will feel that they become closed and closer together the closer to the front you get. Right before they become joined, ush up gently. You will be able to feel an egg there if she is egg bound. If she is not, the area will be soft and pliable.

Good luck!

Quote:
It's soft and pliable and she's been in the house now for about an hour while I was going on the checklist of possible things wrong. She is still very lethargic and I can't get anything into her at all, not even straigh poly vi sol or gatoraide. Bath time with cool water? I'm really afraid I'm going to lose her and I cannot deal with one more death right now at all.
Thanks I really appreciate it.

Quote:
It's soft and pliable and she's been in the house now for about an hour while I was going on the checklist of possible things wrong. She is still very lethargic and I can't get anything into her at all, not even straigh poly vi sol or gatoraide. Bath time with cool water? I'm really afraid I'm going to lose her and I cannot deal with one more death right now at all.
Thanks I really appreciate it.

hugs.gif
At least you have eliminated one danger. Can you get some sugar water in her via an eyedropper?

Already tried it. She's having none of it. I think I'm going to lose another one.
sad.png
I'm going to try a cool bath and see what happens. Man, you'd think that time as a vet tech would help but it really doesn't.

Thank you Desert Rooster, that means a lot.
I just gave her a cool bath in the sink and then brought her back outside to dry off sitting on my lap with a towel around her. It has to still be at least 80 out here.
I've got her back in isolation where it's dark,quiet and cool in the house. At least she's standing up but I don't have a lot of hope for her to last until tomorrow unless she really perks up in a big way and no eating or drinking even with trying to help her, isn't making me optomistic on her outcome tomorrow.
Love my farm and love my animals, this just stinks.
sad.png

Keep checking on her, not looking good. Am incredibly frustrated with losses and tired, no, more than tired, sick to death of death.
somad.gif

It will get better I know this. That poor little hen though...I hope she surprises me overnight with a complete recovery.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom