EEEEEEVILLLL RIR Rooster!

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well... so I walk into my chicken pen this morning to give them their water, and I decided I'd pet my one hen, so I'm bent over holding and petting her, and all of a sudden I feel something hit my face, I look up and there he stood all ready to fight me. So swatted him away and left.
So tonight I walked into the pen to get the eggs, and first thing I see is the same exact rooster running at me and then he started fighting my leg, so once again I swatted him away...
Just thought I'd let you all know lol.

What a nasty little bugger.
lol.png

Last edited:
Not too rare with production bred strains. They were selected on production qualities ONLY, so if the high production is linked to aggression OR is not but "happened to be in the mix", then chances can become very high for aggressive rooster in such strains.

Some lines of production Leghorn roosters are SO mean they simply cannot stop attacking you even if you are kicking or brooming him away, he will just keep coming back at you as if he was on a yo-yo string attached to you.... Hens awesome layers though.

BTW this is the same reason why some lines of high production Leghorn hens are so wild- the trait for nervousness were linked to or were not culled out in selection for excellent production.

So you are going to hear stories about this or that mean RIR or Leghorn.. already got one.. lol

My RIR roo is great with humans, never had a problem with him at all. He's not rough with his hens either and he's a fierce flock protector, never backs down from a threat from preditors including the hawk that landed in our yard a few weeks ago.

I think it depends on the individual rooster.

He came from breeder stock.

2007-07July30-07-1.jpg

My RIR rooster was horrible. Very mean and loved to pretend he was all fine and happy with me visiting and then as I would leave he would run up behind me and attack the back of my calves. I was not sorry when a fox ate him.

My Golden Laced Polish turned aggresive a few weeks ago. I absolutely loved him and was so surprised he attacked me. After the third time when he almost got me in the face I decided to re home him. I think the girls are happier now, they are much more friendly and things are quiet and peaceful. I don't think I'll get another rooster unless I buy one by accident again, I know the benefits of having one, but I just find it isn't worth it if you are afraid to go into the run area or try to grab eggs out of the coop.

My RIR Roo is a baby! He's huge but scared of everything. Now the one hen grabs my pants leg and will peck me if she gets a chance.

Kelly
----------------
5 RIR, 2 mutts

You know, I have had four different RIR Roo's and Thank you Jesus but I have never had an agressive one. Now I have had Silkie Roos agressive and the Worst I had was a Maran. I couldn't turn my back and had to carry something like a 2X4 to protect myself till I could sell them. I don't keep agreesive Roos except for silkies if they have a trait in type I need.

Back
Top Bottom