Egg abound w Prolapse and Enlarged Crop

Apr 5, 2022
NW WA
Came home to find one of our youngest pullets egg bound with her first egg. To make it worse there is sever prolapse and she has an enlarged crop. I soaked her twice in epsom salt with no luck. Gave her two crushed Tums with no luck. The egg has a very soft shell that feels like may have been broke inside. I tried to help push the prolapse in but as she tried repetieret to push the egg out she keeps making it worse. After reading all of the egg bound stuff here and YouTube, trying to release the egg, I am not successful as it feels stuck behind such swollen tissue. Vet not possible right now; called everywhere with no luck. Any great tips? Picture for reference of how we found her. The egg is sitting low and close to her body in the left side. Right now I have her resting with oil all over the tissue and the prolapse pushed back in as much as possible with her continuing to push.

Attachments

• IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 40
Sorry about your pullet. How old is she? When did she have the Tums? Calcium citrate with vitamin D is the best and fastest absorbed calcium. She can have it once a day. I would keep her quiet in a warm and humid area on a towel such as in a spare steamy bathroom. This is about as bad as it gets, a true emergency. If you could get her to a vet they may possibly cut the egg out or use other means. Look very closely for the small cloacal opening, and keep trying to massage the egg out. I assume that you have possibly seen this video, but I will post it again:

Sorry about your pullet. How old is she? When did she have the Tums? Calcium citrate with vitamin D is the best and fastest absorbed calcium. She can have it once a day. I would keep her quiet in a warm and humid area on a towel such as in a spare steamy bathroom. This is about as bad as it gets, a true emergency. If you could get her to a vet they may possibly cut the egg out or use other means. Look very closely for the small cloacal opening, and keep trying to massage the egg out. I assume that you have possibly seen this video, but I will post it again:
About 20 weeks, our youngest this year; we weren’t even expecting it so soon, saw the mess when we went to say goodnight in the roosting bar. She had TUMS after midnight, 2 tablets. Will be doing Cal citrate and V D today when I go get some; strength? No vet will look at her, said not worth aka too far gone, it for the one closest to us, who is also busy at the fair. So upset! I can get my finger in fairly far but then it gets stuck behind a fold that I can’t seem to navigate out or feel the egg near. I can feel the egg from the outside though. I don’t know if continue to dig around will hurt her or not. Been up all night; so upset and trying. She’s tired and I’m tired. It’s my daughters newest bird and she is crushed! All heartbroken…

Back
Top Bottom