Egg Binding

How would you hold her while you're doing this? My girl won't even let me lift her tail to look, but she "assumes the position" when I reach out to catch her.

I have a hen with mainly the same symptoms other than the fact her belly isn't squishy it's rather hard. She is trying to lay it seems. She's been eating some egg today and drinking some. How far might the egg be inside her vent? It actually sounds like there are eggs tapping against each other when she's trying to lay.. any thoughts?

So do you just take a needle and syringe and drain the gunk inside her ?
I start by plucking the feathers around the vent area and cleaning it really well with Chlorhexidine. Then I stick an 18 gauge needle in about 1/4", attach 35 ml syringe and draw out fluid. If the needle is placed correctly the fluids will start dripping on it's own. Picture:

Note that this needle is too far in, but in this case it cause no harm.

-Kathy

Little red wasn't egg bound. We did an exam, realized acietes was the problem. She passed away whi(e we were draining her. The shock must have been too much.. poor girl. I wish we could have done more for her sooner... :(

Little red wasn't egg bound. We did an exam, realized acietes was the problem. She passed away whi(e we were draining her. The shock must have been too much.. poor girl. I wish we could have done more for her sooner... :(

Sorry or your loss. Sometimes the pressure of the fluid is too much for their hearts and lungs.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom