Egg Binding

She is very thin,not walking,and eating a little
sad.png

Help! 6 month old Cuckoo Marans pullet trying to lay her first egg and appears to be egg bound. Noticed it about 4 hours ago. Have given her a warm soak and blow dry, dissolved a Tums in some water and managed to get a good amount of that into her, I'd say maybe half an extra strength Tums. I lubed her up with Ky jelly also. I put a finger in her vent and can feel the egg. It feels pretty big and it is right inside her vent. I don't know if I should try to help start the egg out or not. I have an appointment with the vet 1st thing in the morning, but the vet who normally sees the chickens is on vacation and the other exotics vet is covering for her (but he specializes in reptiles, so not sure how familiar he is with chickens). Should I do anything else tonight? I feel like the egg is just on the verge of coming out, and it almost feels like if I'm gentle I might be able to help her get it started coming out but I'm worried about doing too much to help because I don't want to break the egg. Also, just two months ago I almost lost this girl to coccidiosis and spent two weeks nursing her back from the brink, so I really don't want to lose her to her first egg! Any advice would be appreciated!

How is she?

-Kathy
She passed the egg at around 3:30 this morning. Woke us up with her announcement since she was in the laundry room. There was a bit of blood, but she is up and eating. Went ahead and kept our vet appointment and the vet recommended supplementing with liquid calcium for the next two weeks to make sure she is getting enough calcium and to try to prevent any further problems. Thanks for asking!

How is she?

-Kathy

She passed the egg at around 3:30 this morning.  Woke us up with her announcement since she was in the laundry room.  There was a bit of blood, but she is up and eating.  Went ahead and kept our vet appointment and the vet recommended supplementing with liquid calcium for the next two weeks to make sure she is getting enough calcium and to try to prevent any further problems.  Thanks for asking!

So happy for you and your hen!

-Kathy

Quote:
Thanks. I've only had the girls a short time and I feel like so many things have gone wrong in that short time! I'm so grateful for this site and all the people who take the time to share their wisdom here!

Back
Top Bottom