Egg Binding

Interesting to note you suggest putting chickens bottom halfs in heated water can kill them if one suspects egg binding. Could you please provide some professional data to support that logic? Pretty close friends with our country vet and we would like to know where you obtained this information from? No need to argue here, just curious.
Talk to your vet friend and ask them how best to treat the critically ill egg bound bird. I will be very surprised if they say that bird should not be stabilized first. As for professiona data saying "don't bathe the critically ill bird", there is none, as I think that's would be obvious to a veterinarian, but there have been many posts from people on BYC that have bathed there birds and killed them doing so. Will putting a big, fat, healthy egg bound hen in water kill it? Probably not.

Quote:

Quote: "Critically ill birds are first treated for shock and then attempts are made to treat the egg binding."

Is there any professional data that says to bathe all birds that might be egg bound? Like you, I'm just curious.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
Why didnt you just post this data in the first place? Just curious. The source asked for help, and I provided it in the best possible intent I could. You surely dont need to challenge people trying to give input and support.

Thanks for all the advice
smile.png

I think I will try hot room and if that does not work I might try the soaking.
How long can a hen be egg bound ?
She will drink some and if I put anything green in her food or water she will eat. I may add suger to her water
I do not think the fact that it is 5 degrees here in MN is helping

By the way, I was serching on byc and I found somthing called water belly.
Could it be that ?

Thanks for all the advice :)
I think I will try hot room and if that does not work I might try the soaking.
How long can a hen be egg bound ?
She will drink some and if I put anything green in her food or water she will eat.  I may add suger to her water 
I do not think the fact that it is 5 degrees here in MN is helping

Your hen needs to be in a warm room 24/7, not outside. If you really think she has a stuck egg, try the warm steam room. If she's a thin, not eating, drinking and pooping normally, a bath might kill her.

-Kathy

I have had great luck with soaking birds in warm water. As long as the water is not so warm it burns them, warm water helps relax the abdominal muscles which can be holding the egg in. When they have been pushing and pushing, the muscles in the abdomen tighten up and holds everything in. If the water is not warm enough, the egg won't pass either as the water can chill the bird.

If the egg is a bit cracked, sometimes these won't pass no matter what you do for the bird. At some point you need to make a tiny break in the egg, suck the contents out with an empty syringe, gently collapse the eggshell and gently remove it from the oviduct.

By the way, I was serching on byc and I found somthing called water belly.
Could it be that ?

This is one of the reasons I asked for a picture (post #3). An examine will reveal if it's an egg or something else.

FYI, if they can poop, they can live for *many* months with a stuck egg, so ignore anything that says otherwise.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom