Egg bound - how to break the egg

BarnGoddess01

I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
north shore of Lake Erie
I've been working all day with an egg bound hen with no success - and my heart is breaking.
sad.png
The egg is hard shelled, intact, and at her vent. I can see it. We tried a warm bath, massage, heating pad, Prep H, and lubed fingers but I can't get the egg out nor can she. She's exhausted. Won't eat or drink. She had trouble a couple of weeks ago as well but I was able to help her pass that egg relatively quickly. Obviously this is an ongoing issue with this bird and more than likely will continue to be. We are obviously losing this battle so I feel my only option at this point is to break the egg - but I can't figure out how to get it to break. There isn't a vet in my area willing to work with chickens so I'm on my own. Any advice?

I would not break the egg since that can cause an infection. I am not sure what to do I have not had this problem yet. I hope someone who has more knowledge will post soon. I hope your hen is okay.

She's in a dark box in the house, warm and on a heating pad. (She does feel cold when I work with her.)

I fear I'm going to lose this girl regardless of what I do at this point. I guess I'm not really sure how far I should be going in trying to save her. How much should I put her through? She's a small EE hen that started laying VERY early (16 weeks) - and she's a power layer. She's not even a year old yet. Never misses a day. She didn't take a break after her last bound egg even though days were short AND unseasonably cold. Most of the rest of my flock has taken a break to moult but not Julia. I really don't know what to do for her.
sad.png
I've never had to cull a hen before. (I can't believe I'm even saying it.)

I'm sooo sorry, I hope someone will know a good answer for what to do. I have never had this happen, but I have only had chickens since Sept. Good Luck, I hope she will be OK.

Right now we're BOTH exhausted. I think we've both had enough for one day. She's finally lying down - on the heating pad. She has yogurt, scrambled eggs, and water available. Hopefully, I'll get some good advice here this evening which will give me options to consider.
sad.png

Have you tried contacting your county extension office? They may be able to put you in contact with someone that will handle chickens. You could also ask them if there is anyone at the MSU (Michigan State University) animal/vetrinary facility that you could brainstorm a solution with. There are some really creative people at MSU that are willing to take on problem cases. It doesn't come cheap though....only down-side. We a particularly difficult hip problem with a dog....it was expensive and experimantal, but she lived a full and normal life after it. MSU is an agricultural college, they may be able to help. Perhaps they could operate and sterilize her....perhaps she could live out her life as a good pet and not have to trouble herself with egg worries? I hope things work out for you and your girl!

Quote:
The University of Guelph is near me but I can't help but wonder what the "responsible" choice is regarding this young hen. I've done the expensive and heroic thing with other animals (horses, cats, and dogs) in the past and always wondered in the end if I was doing it for me or for them. I haven't always felt like I did the right thing. I do plan to call my vet in the morning and BEG for help even though I've been informed that they "don't do poultry" - even if it is just to end her life with dignity. I'm a good, long term customer. Thankfully, she does seem to be resting quietly right now. She did drink but hasn't had anything to eat.

I had to help mine get an egg out. I had her on my lap and grabbed behind the egg (it too was near the vent). I worked/pushed it toward the vent and could see it crown. I used my fingers (oiled) and worked the vent around the egg (like a cervix) and out popped the egg. This was after doing all the other recommended things and before trying to break it. I too was getting desperate. However this did not end well. I believe now that the trauma to her vent caused vent gleet. I wasn't able to get nystatin in time and the yogurt/monistat/etc did not fix the problem although they did help. I have since gotten some nystatin and will keep it on hand. I wonder now if I had started feeding her yogurt immediately would that have headed it off? Good luck
sharon

Barngodess- Sounds like your chickens are pets like mine. I posted about a dog attack a week ago Tuesday and have been nursing my girl back to health as well. Though she was not egg bound, she did have one break inside of her which seemed to take 3+ days to work out of her. I wonder if there is something natural that you could give her that would relax her muscels, like humans use. I have been giving Rocky yogurt, Vit E, tuna fish ( she loves it) fruit and greens as well as her grains. Maybe something from the health food store? Just a thought. At any rate good luck. Be patient, I didn't think my girl was going to make it thorough the attack but she is doing better after trying many things.

Back
Top Bottom