Egg Bound Look-Alike Sick Hen

cluck333

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2015
Where the Orps Jump On You
I have a Rhode Island Red hen who is 3 years old, named Little Red Hen but rather large compared to all the other chickens I've had for her breed. She has seemed a little off for a while, but that may be just how she looks because her sister is the picture of health. This year her laying really slowed (she was an amazing layer earlier- an egg a day almost without fail) and about a month at least she has stopped completely. I noticed that her underside seemed swollen, and her legs were spread apart because of it. Yesterday she was really lethargic, wouldn't eat, and was huddled up in the chicken house. I thought she was just cold and gave her some food and water, but she didn't eat or drink. Today she was the same, so I looked up what could be wrong. It looked a lot like she was egg-bound, but I checked her and I'm 99% sure she's not. She has a white discharge but no swelling in the vent (i gave her some Preparation H just in case).

Could she be at the end of her days? I really hope not, she is a good bird, I've let her get away with not laying. If you want more info, I will gladly tell you more about her.

Is her abdomen full of fluid? As in a water belly? Give her belly a feel compared to your other birds. If she is full of water, she could have Ascites. There are threads here on BYC on how to drain the belly of this liquid, but generally birds with this ailment don't survive.

Last edited:
Is her abdomen full of fluid? As in a water belly? Give her belly a feel compared to your other birds. If she is full of water, she could have Ascites. There are threads here on BYC on how to drain the belly of this liquid, but generally birds with this ailment don't survive.

How can i tell if it is full of liquid?

The abdomen is that section between the vent and the legs. I would go feel some of your hens that are healthy. Just put your hand over the abdomen so you know what a normal one should feel like. Then go feel this particular hen that is having the trouble. If she has a water belly, her's will feel like a water balloon.

The abdomen is that section between the vent and the legs. I would go feel some of your hens that are healthy. Just put your hand over the abdomen so you know what a normal one should feel like. Then go feel this particular hen that is having the trouble. If she has a water belly, her's will feel like a water balloon.

Oh it does feel like one... I feel so bad for not checking it out sooner!
hit.gif

Last edited:
I do think that first thread does have draining instructions. I see that members are talking about draining.

Back
Top Bottom