Egg Bound pullet, delivered the egg but now

Hensofthehill

Songster
Oct 20, 2021
Northern Minnesota, USA
Hello Everyone, can you please help with my situation, any advice or help is greatly appreciated, I love my hens.

I have over 50 of them and yesterday I noticed some shavings stuck to her butt, but didnt make much sense of it, as her sisters are starting to lay, i saw a broken egg in the nest earlier, so I assumed that her feathers got some of the broken egg and I moved on with my day.

Today during work lunch break, I went to throw them some treats and she kinda just stood there alone, no enthusiasm to worms which is unusual for chickens. I caught her and saw what I capture in pictures, although I cleaned her out very well.

I used 5 gallon bucket about half filled with warm water, I tried letting her soak for 30 mins then tried scubbing all dirt away and process repeated I soaked her 3 times x30 minutes each time. Changed water on last wash as it was awfully dirty.After last wash I wrapped her in my old - farm use only towels and tried the lube and soft toothbrush.
So I used a personal lubricant from the chicken aid kit that i have and a light brush to work it in softly into the dried up tissues. After some time and trying to calm and comfort her, I tried to grab an egg from the behind of it and she did the rest, it didnt break!!! YAY! I was so happy, I cried...

That at least gives her a chance! I am so thankful to everyone here that suggested having basic kit ready to go in case if its needed.

Now I think she is still very kbacked up, but she keeps pushing her female oviduct out, I can see poop that i leaking around but she doesnt let it stay in and poo. What can I do to help, she seems to be in so much pain from all poop built up. What can i do? @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• IMG_7566.jpg
    IMG_7566.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 83
Does anybody have any idea if I can help her?

She seems to be in so much pain even after the egg was pushed out.

Any

Attachments

• IMG_7556.jpeg
    IMG_7556.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7565.jpeg
    IMG_7565.jpeg
    779 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7561.jpeg
    IMG_7561.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 9
Keep it moist with neosporine til someone with more experience can help
Thank you so much to both of you. She is isolated in the basement, her call changed to a less of a stressed one, but she still cant poop and her reproductive system is pushed out :(

If anyone else has any ideas what can I do to help, please help. I dont want her to struggle and will cull her if that terminal, I just need to know from someone with more experience and knowledge. I love my girls…

I’m sure someone else will chime in but let’s try to get started...

If she’s not separated and in a warm, dark area- she needs to be. Most of us use a dog crate in a spare room if need be, but the other birds will peck at that and cause much more trouble for her if she’s left w her friends.

Is an avain vet an option?
They would likely want to do an ultrasound and see what’s going on, and could prescribe her better meds than Fish Mox (which I would get, and get going if the vet is not an option. You can find it online or at a larger pet store and do not need an RX).

How does her belly feel, compared to your other hens?
Particularly between her keel and vent area?
Hard? Squishy? Or the same as the others?

Intestinal parasites can wreak havoc on the reproductive tract- do you worm your flock?
If so, when was the last time and what is your method?

Poo.
I know she hadn’t had a bowel movement recently but please let us know how it looks when and if she does.

I would absolutely give her calcium. I keep the bovine injectable on hand, as described in this thread. It’s at my local feed store and not terribly expensive.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303

Also, others have used “people” calcium supplements.
I still have not figured out how to quote from a different thread when posting from my phone.... so pls forgive me but I came across this if getting the injectable liquid is a problem (don’t worry, you would administer it orally per the above post), this is another series of suggestions
“Most effective is 600mg calcium citrate with D3, but if all you have in the middle of night is a Tums (calcium carbonate), then give her that until you can get your hands on the other (hopefully once day shift starts — Calcium Citrate with D3 will be in the vitamin aisle of stores like CVS, Walmart, etc.) Give 1 tablet daily: pull down on her wattles, pop it into her beak and let her swallow.”

I’d also make sure to keep plain neosporin (no pain killer) or the generic version on the area. I would not use vetricyn- that is too drying. Vaseline would be better (than vetricyn if you don’t have neosporin/ triple antibiotic) if she’s on a towel... but not if she’s on shavings.

Anyone else?
What did I miss?

@casportpony
@TwoCrows

Last edited:
I’m sure someone else will chime in but let’s try to get started...

If she’s not separated and in a warm, dark area- she needs to be. Most of us use a dog crate in a spare room if need be, but the other birds will peck at that and cause much more trouble for her if she’s left w her friends.

Is an avain vet an option?
They would likely want to do an ultrasound and see what’s going on, and could prescribe her better meds than Fish Mox (which I would get, and get going if the vet is not an option. You can find it online or at a larger pet store and do not need an RX).

How does her belly feel, compared to your other hens?
Particularly between her keel and vent area?
Hard? Squishy? Or the same as the others?

Intestinal parasites can wreak havoc on the reproductive tract- do you worm your flock?
If so, when was the last time and what is your method?

Poo.
I know she hadn’t had a bowel movement recently but please let us know how it looks when and if she does.

I would absolutely give her calcium. I keep the bovine injectable on hand, as described in this thread. It’s at my local feed store and not terribly expensive.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303

Also, others have used “people” calcium supplements.
I still have not figured out how to quote from a different thread when posting from my phone.... so pls forgive me but I came across this if getting the injectable liquid (don’t worry, you would administer it orally per the above post), this is another series of suggestions
“Most effective is 600mg calcium citrate with D3, but if all you have in the middle of night is a Tums (calcium carbonate), then give her that until you can get your hands on the other (hopefully once day shift starts — Calcium Citrate with D3 will be in the vitamin aisle of stores like CVS, Walmart, etc.) Give 1 tablet daily: pull down on her wattles, pop it into her beak and let her swallow.”

I’d also make sure to keep plain neosporin (no pain killer) or the generic version on the area. I would not use vetricyn- that is too drying. Vaseline would be better if she’s on a towel... but not if she’s on shavings.

Anyone else?
What did I miss?

@casportpony
@TwoCrows
Thank you so much @HeritageFan, i really appreciate your detailed write up and trying to help, this forum is such a great place and is really like a family to me for my lovely chickens. Here are answers that I have for now:

1) She is separated, in dog cage with water available that I mixed in electrolytes and probiotics for laying hens. She is on multiple clean towels.
2) There are no avian vet available, unfortunately :(
3) I will go and check her belly, will post answer in 15-20 mins
4) I do have some amoxicillin, what is the dosage that I should administer to her?
5) I really dont worm my flock. My cats are wormed, dog is but not hens, how can I worm my flock safely?
6) There were few droppings that were around, they almost looked like a small kitten poops, tiny, size of a pistachio. Now there is some white substance that is being pushed to the side but not mch, a drop if i move the area a bit with my hand.
7) I have fleetfarm close by, I will go and get bovine calcium and give her hard calcium in tablet for now, I have some 600 mg with d3 in my drawer.
8) I will go and apply the triple antibiotic around the area( as she is on towels and not shavings) and feel her belly so I can post more information. I will take some additional pictures in 15-20 minutes.

Thank you all so much for trying to help us...

Valbazen is a goat dewormer that is readily available from most feed stores.
Dosage is 1/2ml for an average (~5#) chicken, given orally and repeated in 10 days. Round worm is the most common problem, you would see evidence of tapeworm in their feathers or stools if that was an issue- but the quoted post below talks about how to manage that, just so it’s all in one place.

I’m not sure that I’d hit her w that right now- I’d try to get her feeling better and then worm everyone nice she’s back on her feet- but.... again. Hopefully someone else will tell me if I’m wrong 😂 I don’t worm my flock much, either.... but I probably should, because I know I have mice around and they get to range the pastures.... :/

This is from another thread, creds to @casportpony

The Valbazen should get all but tapes. Praziquantel is the best drug to treat tapeworms in poultry. The dose is 10 mg/kg (4.54 mg per pound) once, then repeat in 10-14 days. You can get praziquantel for cats or dogs or Equimax paste for horses (ivermectin & praziquantel).

Equimax horse paste has 140.3 mg/ml Praziquantel, 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.033 ml per pound, or 0.16 ml per five pounds.

what is this thing that is falling out?

She seemed to be sitting down once i came to the basement and turned the lights on.

I tried to put triple antibiotic on my fingers and slowly work or push the falling thing inside and she kept on doing similar movements as she is trying to push the egg.

I am at a loss… she is suffering and i dont know what to do.

Attached pictures are what everting looks now.

Some pictures show when its inside, it seems her vent hole expanded so much that it cant hold? Is that possible?

Attachments

• IMG_7589.jpeg
    IMG_7589.jpeg
    779.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7588.jpeg
    IMG_7588.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7582.jpeg
    IMG_7582.jpeg
    559.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7591.jpeg
    IMG_7591.jpeg
    758.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7592.jpeg
    IMG_7592.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7587.jpeg
    IMG_7587.jpeg
    691.2 KB · Views: 8
Valbazen is a goat dewormer that is readily available from most feed stores.
Dosage is 1/2ml for an average (~5#) chicken, given orally and repeated in 10 days. Round worm is the most common problem, you would see evidence of tapeworm in their feathers or stools if that was an issue- but the quoted post below talks about how to manage that, just so it’s all in one place.

I’m not sure that I’d hit her w that right now- I’d try to get her feeling better and then worm everyone nice she’s back on her feet- but.... again. Hopefully someone else will tell me if I’m wrong 😂 I don’t worm my flock much, either.... but I probably should, because I know I have mice around and they get to range the pastures.... :/

This is from another thread, creds to @casportpony

The Valbazen should get all but tapes. Praziquantel is the best drug to treat tapeworms in poultry. The dose is 10 mg/kg (4.54 mg per pound) once, then repeat in 10-14 days. You can get praziquantel for cats or dogs or Equimax paste for horses (ivermectin & praziquantel).

Equimax horse paste has 140.3 mg/ml Praziquantel, 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.033 ml per pound, or 0.16 ml per five pounds.
Wow!!! Thank you so much so much helpful info at same time.

I looked and there were no visible worms. I will worm the flock once this situation is resolved.

Back
Top Bottom