Egg Bound pullet, delivered the egg but now

Attaching the picture of the egg she tried to lay. I think that was her 1st egg.

Attachments

• IMG_7577.jpeg
    IMG_7577.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7573.jpeg
    IMG_7573.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7572.jpeg
    IMG_7572.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7571.jpeg
    IMG_7571.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 4
She's prolapsing.

I'd start getting Calcium into her asap. You can use the 600mg Calcium tablets you have on hand. Just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow. Give 1 daily.

Sometimes when there's a prolapse the tissue is swollen and won't go immediately back in, the calcium will help with retention and contraction.

Soaking in a warm epsom salts bath can help reduce inflammation, but only soak her if she's alert and doing o.k. Soaking them when lethargic can send them over the edge.

Keep all of that exposed tissue moist with ointment, oil or honey. What you are seeing is part of the reproductive system and the intestines.
Both these systems meet at the vent.

I would think she may have another egg on the way, so hopefully she can expel that without prolapsing further.

Prolapses can be caused by beginning to lay to early, calcium deficiency, obesity, holding droppings too long, being egg bound, etc.

I would keep her hydrated, work on getting the Calcium into her and keep all the exposed tissue moist.
If the swelling goes down, you can try pushing the tissue back in, but a lot of times it will not stay.
It may take a few days to start to stay in.

She's prolapsing.

I'd start getting Calcium into her asap. You can use the 600mg Calcium tablets you have on hand. Just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow. Give 1 daily.

Sometimes when there's a prolapse the tissue is swollen and won't go immediately back in, the calcium will help with retention and contraction.

Soaking in a warm epsom salts bath can help reduce inflammation, but only soak her if she's alert and doing o.k. Soaking them when lethargic can send them over the edge.

Keep all of that exposed tissue moist with ointment, oil or honey. What you are seeing is part of the reproductive system and the intestines.
Both these systems meet at the vent.

I would think she may have another egg on the way, so hopefully she can expel that without prolapsing further.

Prolapses can be caused by beginning to lay to early, calcium deficiency, obesity, holding droppings too long, being egg bound, etc.

I would keep her hydrated, work on getting the Calcium into her and keep all the exposed tissue moist.
If the swelling goes down, you can try pushing the tissue back in, but a lot of times it will not stay.
It may take a few days to start to stay in.
Thank you so much for this detailed write up! As of this morning she is doing a little better. I am attaching some pictures.

There was quite a bit of bloody discharge and white pasty droppings on her feathers. I dont know if she was able to poop well.

I provided some cooked rice to her this morning as well and she happily ate about 1/4 of a cup.

Should I wet her regular 17% layer feed instead? I have some 19% grower feed as well that i am feeding my rooster crew, would that be better for her for now?

Thank you all for your support and advices, help, this forum is like a family to me since the day I joined.

Attachments

• IMG_7604.jpeg
    IMG_7604.jpeg
    805.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7602.jpeg
    IMG_7602.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7607.jpeg
    IMG_7607.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7608.jpeg
    IMG_7608.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7601.jpeg
    IMG_7601.jpeg
    690.8 KB · Views: 5
You can give her her normal feed wet or dry. The rice is o.k. to add some interest.
Keep her hydrated, get the Calcium into her.

She's leaking poop, mucous and urates which can be common when there's prolapse. Do the best you can to keep her cleaned up here and there. A spray bottle with some diluted Chlorhexidine solution can come in handy to help flush/rinse away the poop in between soakings.

You can give her her normal feed wet or dry. The rice is o.k. to add some interest.
Keep her hydrated, get the Calcium into her.

She's leaking poop, mucous and urates which can be common when there's prolapse. Do the best you can to keep her cleaned up here and there. A spray bottle with some diluted Chlorhexidine solution can come in handy to help flush/rinse away the poop in between soakings.
thank you so much for your and everyone else’s suggestions. This is very helpful. I will keep everyone posted on how it all goes.

What dilution rate should the chlorhexidone spray be at? Thank you so much again.

Hello everyone,

I want to update and thank you all and special thank you to @Wyorp Rock, i think she healed!

Everything seems to be intact as of today, i was soaking daily and pushing the organs in gently after putting some triple antibiotic over them.

I hope she doesn’t experience this again and this was just a beginner layer error.

Attachments

• IMG_7787.jpeg
    IMG_7787.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7785.jpeg
    IMG_7785.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 4
Hello everyone,

I want to update and thank you all and special thank you to @Wyorp Rock, i think she healed!

Everything seems to be intact as of today, i was soaking daily and pushing the organs in gently after putting some triple antibiotic over them.

I hope she doesn’t experience this again and this was just a beginner layer error.
I’m so glad she healed!

Hello everyone,

I'm glad to see she's doing so much better!

You also gave her extra calcium for several days right?

Hopefully she won't have any more issues.

Back
Top Bottom