Egg bound silkie?

Ry123

Songster
Feb 14, 2022
California, San Diego
Hi everyone my silkie has been pushing her tail up very high and I am worried she may be egg bound. She is very skinny, I feed her oyster she'll feed (purina) feather fixer nature wise and a bowl of calcium shells (crushed). She has been acting like this for the past few days I have been force feeding her so her crop is full at night. And she wakes up with a flat crop. Her poops are very small but look healthy. I have been giving her so far calcium pills and D3 to see if that helps with a little bit of coconut oil. I don't know what to do. This is how her poops have been looking like.
20240512_125210.jpg
20240512_125207.jpg

I also inserted one finger into her to see if she had a egg but I don't know how it is suppose to feel if there is a egg.

Last edited:
Hi everyone my silkie has been pushing her tail up very high and I am worried she may be egg bound. She is very skinny, I feed her oyster she'll feed (purina) feather fixer nature wise and a bowl of calcium shells (crushed). She has been acting like this for the past few days I have been force feeding her so her crop is full at night. And she wakes up with a flat crop. Her poops are very small but look healthy. I have been giving her so far calcium pills and D3 to see if that helps with a little bit of coconut oil. I don't know what to do. This is how her poops have been looking like. View attachment 3829734View attachment 3829735
This is a video of her

How long has she been like that? What is the dosage you’ve been giving of calcium plus d3? And have you given it each day?

Is it a 400 mg or 600 mg capsule? I’m sorry she isn’t feeling well, I agree that does look like an egg bound stance, but I wonder if something else is going on?

Is she older? Is that why she hasn’t laid in two months?

She just turned 2 years old this month. This is a 600mg
Ah hmm…giving the calcium plus D3 has always worked for me when my hens have been egg bound. Have you given her a nice warm soak with epsom salt, too? Some people say they can feel and egg if they palpate the abdomen of an egg bound hen, try to see if you can feel one. You say she is skinny and not wanting to eat, has she ever been dewormed? I know you said her poop looks normal and healthy, though. Have you checked her for mites and lice?

Ah hmm…giving the calcium plus D3 has always worked for me when my hens have been egg bound. Have you given her a nice warm soak with epsom salt, too? Some people say they can feel and egg if they palpate the abdomen of an egg bound hen, try to see if you can feel one. You say she is skinny and not wanting to eat, has she ever been dewormed? I know you said her poop looks normal and healthy, though. Have you checked her for mites and lice?
I checked her and she doesn't seem to have lice or mites. I checked her abdomen but I am unsure of how it is suppose to feel if there is a egg

Back
Top Bottom