Egg bound silkie?

If this is egg binding, aside from a vet, I think you’re doing all that you can. Is vet care an option? If you could see or feel an egg, I’ve seen where sometimes owners very very gently and carefully have helped manipulate it out, but then there is a risk of breaking the egg inside of the hen. Then you have another potentially deadly problem all together. So I wouldn’t recommend unless it is the very last ditch effort.

Do you know why she had stopped laying for 2 months? Her not having laid that long and being very skinny makes me think other things could be going on, too.

If this is not egg binding, is there anything she could’ve eaten or drank that could be making her sick? And has she been dewormed at all?

If this is egg binding, aside from a vet, I think you’re doing all that you can. Is vet care an option? If you could see or feel an egg, I’ve seen where sometimes owners very very gently and carefully have helped manipulate it out, but then there is a risk of breaking the egg inside of the hen. Then you have another potentially deadly problem all together. So I wouldn’t recommend unless it is the very last ditch effort.

Do you know why she had stopped laying for 2 months? Her not having laid that long and being very skinny makes me think other things could be going on, too.

If this is not egg binding, is there anything she could’ve eaten or drank that could be making her sick? And has she been dewormed at all?
She hasnt been dewormed yet I was thinking of giving her garlic to help incase it were worms. If she's egg bound I won't be able to afford taking her to a vet but if it were to be worms or something else I could.

She hasnt been dewormed yet I was thinking of giving her garlic to help incase it were worms. If she's egg bound I won't be able to afford taking her to a vet but if it were to be worms or something else I could.
I understand. You could try deworming her, even if she doesn’t have worms, it will not hurt her. But maybe see if she pulls through this and decide? Some vets will do a fecal float without a visit, it’s usually a cheap test and could give you an answer on if deworming is needed or not even.

She doesn’t have and discharge from her eyes, ears and nose does she? I’m sure you would’ve mentioned it. Just grasping at straws trying to see if there is anything else going on.

I understand. You could try deworming her, even if she doesn’t have worms, it will not hurt her. But maybe see if she pulls through this and decide? Some vets will do a fecal float without a visit, it’s usually a cheap test and could give you an answer on if deworming is needed or not even.

She doesn’t have and discharge from her eyes, ears and nose does she? I’m sure you would’ve mentioned it. Just grasping at straws trying to see if there is anything else going on.
No none of that just the body posture and her not have wanting to lay eggs. Today she looks better then yesterday but her not feeling good has been going on since Wednesday so it's been a while.

Has she eaten much on her own yet? Maybe give her a really good thorough exam all over and look for anything abnormal. Lumps, bumps, wounds, etc. check inside her beak if you can for any lesions. Check how her abdomen feels, too.

Has she eaten much on her own yet? Maybe give her a really good thorough exam all over and look for anything abnormal. Lumps, bumps, wounds, etc. check inside her beak if you can for any lesions. Check how her abdomen feels, too.
Okay sounds good I will give her a complete check tomorrow and update you! Thank you so much for the help.

You’re welcome! Praying she starts to improve.
I checked her today and she has much more energy. I have force fed her in the morning so she can start gaining weight and fed her garlic. She still goes into a fluffed up position for a short time and then after acts normal. Her poop is still small and solid. But she is much more talkative today and runs around where the past few days she had just walked very slowly and stayed In a fluffed up position majority of the day.

I checked her today and she has much more energy. I have force fed her in the morning so she can start gaining weight and fed her garlic. She still goes into a fluffed up position for a short time and then after acts normal. Her poop is still small and solid. But she is much more talkative today and runs around where the past few days she had just walked very slowly and stayed In a fluffed up position majority of the day.
That’s good news! It sounds like she is headed in the right direction. Sounds like she may have been just not feeling well in general. Her crop is still normal feeling and flat in the mornings?

That’s good news! It sounds like she is headed in the right direction. Sounds like she may have been just not feeling well in general. Her crop is still normal feeling and flat in the mornings?
Yes. What i find weird is that this happens consistently with her but this was the first tume it git this bad and I don't know why. My other 2 girls are healthy. Could it be a genetic thing?

Back
Top Bottom