egg bound?

Peppypap

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
Dallas TX
I have an EE hen, who is about 2 years old. She has been acting normal, and is begging with the other girls, running around the yard and flying up onto the roost at night with the other girls,but her butt is VERY swollen. My mom and I soaked her in warm water and washed her butt, but all that did was make her paranoid about us. Any ideas? Aside from the,ummm, large behind she looks fine, and is acting just like the others, just a bit more flighty. I have not seen her poop, but I assume the droppings are runny because her butt fluff isn't clean, and we washed her butt yesterday. I am not sure if she has ben laying or not. For the past few months, She has been going into the nests, but when she sees me in the coop she freaks out and runs out. I have another EE also,so egg Color is no help...

I'm sorry but I just got my hens last April so i don't know much about egg binding, but I do know that you can put her in a cage with a wire floor and put a pan with steaming water and make sure it isn't hot enough to burn her, but still steaming. the egg should pass in a few hours. Hope she feels better.:(

Okay,I found out what is wrong with her, it was Ascites. So my mom and I drained most of the liqud, Which ended up being 19 ounces, and now she looks much better, and is walking correctly now. What we had to do was take a syringe and.... drain the liquid out. It should be clear. If it isn't clear, you have a different problem.

Hi PeppyPap, I have been following your thread..thinking that I have a hen that is doing the same thing your's is..She is a little better today, so I am thinking she isn't egg bound..I am curious to know how you drain the fluid out? Did you insert a syringe in her vent and suck it out?

I would appreciate any details you want to share!

Not in the vent, but on the butt skin below the vent. It works best when gravity works with you. My mom had to stick a few different places to get most of the fluid out, and you want to make sure the swelling is squishy like a water balloon. If its firm, or if the liquid isn't clear, then you have a different problem. My hen didn't seem to mind much, as she only flinched when my mom stuck her, but I will go ahead and tell you from experience (I was the holder in this case) that the person holding the bird wont stay dry, or clean. Yuck.

I tried to take a photo..(or my husband did) it went from being swollen and red to know it is a sickly yellow and swollen..she is in less stress though, and I continue to soak her and do the tetracycline in her water, plus I force some down her throat.

This is sounding more and more like ascities...so I will continue to research that..if she were egg bound..I think she would be dead by now.

My question on the ascites and fluid buildup is, do you just poke them with a good sharp instrument or use a syringe?

Do you happen to have a picture?

Unfortunately, no. I don't have a picture. And it is best to use a syringe, but after they will continue to drain through the holes. My hen is now completley normal, just a little red where we poked her. Also if this is it the swelling should be siquishy.

We went out and on the first try I got a full syringe full of fluid..on the second attempt I wasn't as lucky..but at least the pressure is relieved and I know what it is now..i didn't want to styress her anymore by poking again and again..I would never make a good phlebotomist...but then again..I like chickens more than...

Back
Top Bottom