Egg Carton Hatching?

Sorry never done it, but saw your in cut-n-shoot, we are in midway just down the road from you...small world...Just thought it was cool your close...no one else is...

None of this I can prove but I'm working on it.

Think of an egg as a cup with tape over the top. Everything under the tape is the liquid an the chick an above the tape is the air cell.

Now if the cup is full of water an the chick pips threw the tape in to the air cell an the cup is standing strait up then the water goes nowhere. That means the chick has to stick its whole beak up in to the air cell for every breath.

But if the cup is on its side the when the chick breaks threw the tape all the extra moisture runs out in to the air cell an away from the chicks beak letting it breath.

On the other end if there is very little moisture in the egg at pip time having it upright would keep the chick wetter where it can hatch with less effort.

Every time when I was running higher humidity an had smaller air cells I would do ok hatching on there side an have failure in the carton. Medium air cells seam to do ok ether way. An now that I am doing the a completely dry incubation (no water days 1-18) an have bigger air cells I seem to be having better luck with the carton hatch.

This is one of those things that in my mind it makes sense but it keeps me awake at night trying to think of how to prove it

I don't know if it is coincidence but I just hatched 25 shipped egg's yesterday and I laid some of them down and put some of them in carton's the ones in carton's all hatched of the ones on the floor only 1 egg hatched. This is my first hatch though so I don't know if this trend will stay or just luck? I did have good control over my humidity as rebel cowboy was saying so I don't know just my experience.

I did it for my first hatch and loved it. I had 22/24 hatch, the two that didn't had quit sometime in the second week. The other thing I did that worked out really well was to cut a piece of rubber shelf liner to put over the wire rack. It gave the chicks secure footing and between the egg cartons and the shelf liner clean up was super easy.

so how do you turn the eggs when in the carton or do you but them in the carton after you remove the turner??? I curious, i have mine in a turner right now and they are on day 15. Any ways to improve my hatching I'll try anything once.

Back
Top Bottom