Egg eater or sick bird?

tymimo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
For the last three days I've found the remains of an egg in the nesting box. One thought is that I have an egg eater but there are several other factors.
1. Over the last couple of months I have found the occasional egg with a soft shell, maybe once every other week. Up until this week, the egg always had some sort of soft membrane that I took to be a malformed shell of some sort but the last three have had no membrane or shell bits.
2. On two of the last three days there has also been a poop right next to the mess. Possibly a coincidence but the nesting boxes are usually poop-free
3. I have found intact eggs in the same nesting box with the broken egg

Could this be some sort of illness causing my hen to lay eggs with no shells?

I have 4 hens (Buff O, Wellsummer, Red SL & Barred Rock) all hatched April of 2013 who were laying great up until this fall. They get layer pellets (Modesto) as well as supplemental oyster shell. Is this something that may pass or something that would be best resolved by culling the bird that is laying these "eggs"?

tis,
tymimo

Hello! We have had numerous times with soft shelled eggs and broken eggs in the nesting boxes. Sometimes there may have not been enough padding and the egg cracked. I think the soft-shelled eggs are caused by a calcium deficiency. The droppings in the nesting box may be caused by them sleeping in them. Apple cider vinegar is awsome for their health and oyster shells or crushed egg shells is good for calcium.

For the last three days I've found the remains of an egg in the nesting box. One thought is that I have an egg eater but there are several other factors.
1. Over the last couple of months I have found the occasional egg with a soft shell, maybe once every other week. Up until this week, the egg always had some sort of soft membrane that I took to be a malformed shell of some sort but the last three have had no membrane or shell bits.

Egg quality can go to pot with less sunlight activating D3 for calcium absorption. Moult stress along with lack of pre-moult and post moult supplementation, and internal/external parasites can cause anemia and inhibit nutrient absorption. Lots of people have jumped to "your birds may have infectious bronchitis", but you would see respiratory distress symptoms with that.

2. On two of the last three days there has also been a poop right next to the mess. Possibly a coincidence but the nesting boxes are usually poop-free
3. I have found intact eggs in the same nesting box with the broken egg

Hens sharing nests may break a soft shell egg, then the egg eating problems begin. There is a protein in raw eggs called Avidin, which inactivates biotin, and causes vitamin deficiency. Check nests often to avoid perpetuating that.

Could this be some sort of illness causing my hen to lay eggs with no shells?

I would begin by supplementing water with calcium gluconate 2-3 times a week. Liquid can be found in the cattle section of most feed stores. A poultry vitamin-electrolyte can be used with it. Provide oyster shell and grit mixed in feed. If the birds are done moulting, you should consider deworming them if you have not. High production breeds can be prone to this problem also, due to rapid formation of eggs, so they need more frequent supplementation.

I have 4 hens (Buff O, Wellsummer, Red SL & Barred Rock) all hatched April of 2013 who were laying great up until this fall. They get layer pellets (Modesto) as well as supplemental oyster shell. Is this something that may pass or something that would be best resolved by culling the bird that is laying these "eggs"?

tis,
tymimo

Modesto Milling produces good quality feeds. I have used their feed for a few years now. Pay attention to milling dates on the feed tags. Not all feed store staff concern themselves with such things.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom